Screenshots & App Previews App Store

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Christoph, May 12, 2016.

1. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

2. Brocky120

Brocky120 Avid Boxer

Use xCode Simulator.

3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I just take 1 set of 1080x1920 and scale for all the other shots. I will do a little creative cropping for iPad and iPhone 4 to preserve aspect. Much easier and quality difference is barely noticeable.

Jamie likes this.
  4. Brocky120

Brocky120 Avid Boxer

5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I barely can run the simulator. The game runs really really slow. It is not playable. So the simulator is not an option to make good screenshots.

I did it now with an iPad, but it is only 1200x900. The upscaled screenshots to 1920x1080 and 2048 x 2732 look really ugly and out of focus. lol. Hope it ain't a problem. It seems one must buy/rent the biggest resolution device to make something really good looking.

6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

You should definitely use Full HD (in BB preview) if you are going the upscale route. 1200x900 is pretty low resolution to go up to 2048x2732. Also make sure you are cropping and preserving aspect when needed.

7. Brocky120

Brocky120 Avid Boxer

The simulator running slow is likely your computer.

8. Arsmen Studio

Arsmen Studio Avid Boxer

@Andy when we make games...we make them only for ios (iphone) and than only for tablets cause our games aren'the same in ipad and iphone ...if we test our game in ipad we have to move buttons and other things in iphone it's okay.

9. Arsmen Studio

Arsmen Studio Avid Boxer

@Christoph make the screen shot with you iphone or what you use than use photoshop to resize :)

10. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Xcode simulator is almost always terrible performance.
    Search forums for "stick to edge". There shouldn't be a case where you can't make a screen work for both iPhone and iPad.

Arsmen Studio likes this.
  11. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I found this graphic which is pretty interesting on how resolution changed over time with each model:

[​IMG]

How can you use Full HD preview? I have a 2560 x 1440px display (which in fact is bigger than 1080p) but I never can show 100% of the Full HD preview. The most I get is 68% of the total resolution which is just a little bit bigger than the iPhone5 preview.

12. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

When you take the screenshot in preview using the "camera" button (upper left) it saves in full resolution. Doesn't matter if the preview window is scaled.

Christoph likes this.
  13. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

Could you take a screenshot of where the camera button is located?

14. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

The preview stopped behaving in this manner, if you try to go full screen with preview it blows every thing up so you can't see but a small fraction of the game, this happened between beta 4 and 5, was disheartening too because in a portrait mode game I was able to see the things offscreen work they're way in but as soon as 5 dropped, it just blew up the game instead of increasing the preview real estate...

15. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

O man, I didn't know about this feature. I actually thought about to request it. Very cool! Thanks Andy!

My app is getting reviewed. Can I still change the screenshots in the meantime? Or should I wait for the next updates or are screenshots completely independent of the App review?

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

17. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

I thought a camera button in ios simulator. Thanks :p

18. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Send detail to support@buildbox.com, if you have a ticket let me know the number so I can look into it. This is working perfectly from my side of things.

19. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Working here too. It doesn't change the resolution of the preview. It only outputs the screenshot that's all.

@Andy: My app is getting reviewed. Can I still change the screenshots in the meantime? Or should I wait for the next updates or are screenshots completely independent of the App review? Do you know?

Update:
    is there a shortcut I can use to take the screenshot? It is a little difficult to play the game and to take the screenshot in the perfect moment with the mouse at the same time...

20. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I don't believe so, but it's a good idea.
    Depends on the state... if it's waiting for review maybe, if in review I doubt it.

Christoph likes this.