Unlock Character with distance type game

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by drew, Mar 14, 2016.

1. drew

drew Boxer

Hi guys, it is possible to unlock a character in a distance type game? in my game I am not using coins, so how can I unlocked a character, of course not using a reward video and in app purchase. I just want to know if it is possible. if it is, maybe someone can give me an idea on how to do it? :) thanks.

by the way, I am using buildbox 1.3.6

2. runrollgames

runrollgames Boxer

its simple, make ur coins transparent. and keep then on the platform, though Ur character touches coins, there wont be any sound or points in game. If suppose you want to give a new character after some X distance. Then put 50 transparent coins before that X distance. (Give a new character for every 50 coins). So when the character collects 50 coins, you can see UNLOCK new character button on Game over screen.
    Hope it helps.

drew likes this.
  3. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Hi @drew, sometimes is easier to use 1 coin with a value of 50 rather than 50 coins x 1 point as there are so many variables throughout your game, the user may miss some coins and this might not work for your game layout.

If you want to make sure the user gets to a certain distance within your game before collecting points/coins, do as @runrollgames said, make a transparent coin, but place it in the exact position/distance you want the user to get it so they can unlock the next character.

Make sure you make your coin large enough (can even stretch the entire height of your screen) so there is definitely no chance of missing it. I use a long straight line, like a finish line in a race. It's starts out as a small 64px square that I stretch out to fit across the screen, that way, it doesn't take up hardly any atlas space, but is really effective as a large coin, it's transparent, so it doesn't matter what it looks like.

drew and heathclose like this.
  4. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

i use this method for checkpoints as well... well put

Phill Mason likes this.
  5. drew

drew Boxer

thank you guys for your reply and your ideas. will try that out.