Why The 2d Physics Is So Limited?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by aquamarine, Nov 29, 2018.

?

Do you like the physics engine of Buildbox?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. I don't care, physics is not important for my games.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. aquamarine

aquamarine Boxer

Hi everyone,
    I just started to use the software, and feels like it has a very basic 2D physics? What engine does it use, a self written, or something like Box2D which is just not exposed with all its options into the buildbox interface so we can't modify that much properties?

And how come it doesn't bother anyone on the forum? :) I've searched through the forum, and didn't find any discussions about physics at all. Maybe I am trying to use a wrong tool for the job? Games that depend a lot on physics should not be built with this software? (at the moment after a short POC it seems like the worst tool to use for a racing game, I will never be able to achieve a feel of "Hill climb racers" for example)

2. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

You will need to understand advance movement and play around with the settings to get the desired results. BB3 will have far more flexibility. I suggest you try one of the build a game tutorials on YouTube to better understand the engine and go from there. Hill climbers have been made in BB.

Maybe search out some templates and their videos to see if the style suits what you are looking for and go from there.

3. aquamarine

aquamarine Boxer

Yes, I tried many variations of all settings (and saw all videos about racing tutorials) but the results are always "arcade" gameplay, not proper physics that everyone enjoys so much in Box2d based games, it just feels completely different. I wonder what was used as the physics engine for buildbox? An open source well-known one, or minimalistic self written engine, maybe this is written somewhere? (I've read almost all the documentation PDF latest version, 120 pages, but haven't seen much info about physics at all, probably this game builder prioritizes other aspects of game development and does not fit my plans)

4. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Have a look through this.