Why Cast Shadow Light Not Working On Ipad2 Bb2 Glitch?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by tonymartz2, Jul 16, 2016.

1. tonymartz2

tonymartz2 Avid Boxer

hey guys, I use lights with Cast shadow option for great effect when running it on simulator works fine but when running it on iPad 2 the light shows but cast shadow does not work.. all i see is a plane light as if the cast shadow option was unchecked. when running on iPhone device it works fine...

its not the iPad because I downloaded a buildbox game from iTunes that uses that cast shadow feature and it works..... confused.... could it be a BB2 glitch?

running BB v2.2.2
    thanks

2. tonymartz2

tonymartz2 Avid Boxer

Anyone? Check this issue?

3. Nihat

Nihat Serious Boxer

Maybe. If you use it with cast shadow i think it is glitch.

4. tonymartz2

tonymartz2 Avid Boxer

Looks like it

5. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

This is most likely a performance issue on lower power devices. Usually shadows are just used as a special effect, if the frame rate would drop too much we turn them off. First stop is to check your atlases... you might have too many for lower power devices.

Nihat likes this.
  6. tonymartz2

tonymartz2 Avid Boxer

@Andy you were right, I did a test with just one scene and one light casting shadow and it worked on IPAD 2... back to my game the one atlas does not have to much on it but I do have 1-3 lights with shadow on each scene out of 50... what do do now?

7. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

OK, so if you have only one atlas we need to look at other things that are going on... How long are your scenes? How many objects in the typical scene? Light/shadows do take a lot of computing power. The number of scenes should not matter. Have you removed unused objects, etc... from the tools menu. Make sure you backup prior to doing any optimization, should be fine but it's a good safety measure. Also can look at using convert to clones options if it makes sense.

8. tonymartz2

tonymartz2 Avid Boxer

@Andy yes you were right, slower/ older phone and tablet do not have the power to handle all the shadows..
    thanks