Where In Script Can This, Ui(), Scene(), Etc., Be Used?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Jay Jennings, Dec 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Boxer

[First, it would be really nice if there was a specific section in the forum for scripting questions -- that way people who *only* want NoCode don't ever have to see script stuff -- and those of us who are code geeks would have a place to play.]

Here's my scripting problem...

Code that I've written works when inside the signal() function, but in trying to clean things up I broke some code out into their own functions that are called from inside signal() -- and the code stopped working. It's saying things like, "this.ui is not a function" but it's the same code that worked inside signal().

So I thought maybe I could create some global variables outside of any function:
    Code:
    var _this
    var _ui
    var _scene
    var _ent

...and then initialize them inside the init() function so I could then use them later:
    Code:
    function init() {
        _this = this
        _ui = this.ui()
        _scene = this.scene()
        _ent = this.entity()

...but no joy -- inside the other functions _this sometimes works (not sure), but _ui, for example, just shows as null.

Can anybody shed some light on what's happening here? I would expect to be able to set a global variable inside init that would then be available throughout the life of that entity. Or maybe a script component goes in and out of life???

2. Hi Jay! You pose a good question here. The issue is that the keyword `this` is defined differently in a custom function vs the built-in functions. Here's some solutions you can try.

1. Use `component` keyword
    Outside of the built-in functions in a script, if you need to use `this` you can use `component` instead.

Code:
    function init(){
       log(this.ui());
       foo();
    }

function foo(){
       log(component.ui()); // same result as this.ui() inside init()
    }
    2. Global variable _this
    I believe your global variable solution will work if you initialize `_this = this` in init(), then in your custom function use `_this.ui();` etc
    Code:
    let _this;

function init() {
       _this = this;
    }

function foo(){
       log(_this.ui());
    }
    I hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2020
    Vlad-NY and Sean Buildbox like this.
  3. montasli