What Happens In The Retention Test Of Voodoo?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by ronnie gaikwad, Feb 7, 2019.

1. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

There is not going to be much traffic from Apple organic reach, so I guess that's why they run ads on Facebook to boost the campaign. So I should not worry much about metadata for the app listing when testing? Is that correct?

2. EZKad

EZKad Avid Boxer

you don't have to do anything since they only take in consideration the traffic coming from Facebook compain. their model is 100% data driven, so any traffic you may generate from other sources will be just ignored in their assessment.

3. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

You seemed to know much about their process, have you submitted any games to them and what's your experience so far, other than the fact that they do not like Buildbox games at the moment. :) due to technical issues with their SDK implementations

ronnie gaikwad likes this.
  4. EZKad

EZKad Avid Boxer

I only submitted 2 games to Voodoo (both failed), but I took time to read all their documents and watch most of their videos, the good thing with them is that they share all their knowledge, and this by the way is good to watch even if you are not planing to publish games with them.
    I have some games ready but I know they are not suited to their model, so I'm not going to test them with Voodoo ...
    so it's up to each developer to juge wether voodoo is a good publisher for his game or not.

I don't know if they like Buildbox or not, but what I know is that till now, they only published games made with Unity, and they only provide a Unity SDK (once the game is accepted)

5. ronnie gaikwad

ronnie gaikwad Boxer

what was your retention for the 2 games you send to the voodoo

6. EZKad

EZKad Avid Boxer

I got 20% and 25% D1 , which is very low.

7. ronnie gaikwad

ronnie gaikwad Boxer

can voodoo still accept 2D games?

8. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

Yes they do accept.But not Buildbox at the moment.I would suggest you instead of asking these doubts and dreaming about big publisher i suggest you to create good games and master the product.I don't know if you have previous experience making game.I can't judge the book by its cover (Which means you being a new user here i can't just jump to conclusion) .Luck will find its way."ONE WHO THINKS OF BIG PUBLISHER THINKS OF MONEY AND NOT THE POPULARITY" .Instead think that you are a big publisher and make through.
    In short answer to your question is After retention they will proceed with the game and only very few here has got good retention and unfortunately they were unlucky due to limitation.I hope you got your answer and its good to close this thread :)

9. ronnie gaikwad

ronnie gaikwad Boxer

i posted this because i have my game ready and was thinking to send it to voodoo, before that i just wanted to know how the voodoo works.. thanks

10. TheGameAppStudio

I understand. You send it via their contact forum and wait for their reply.It takes time to get reply 1-2 weeks.If selected they will send dashboard link to submit game and you will find instruction there.But like said don't expect anything in return.If you are lucky they will find you .The reason i am telling this is you must be ready to expect the unexpected .

11. ronnie gaikwad

ronnie gaikwad Boxer

thanks

TheGameAppStudio likes this.
  12. ditaz1999

ditaz1999 Boxer

thanks for the info

13. menanche

menanche Boxer

14. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Every publisher is different, and contracts can't be talked about. Some offer ad revenue split, some offer cash based on X amount of downloads with bonus payments every month and others wont even pay you at all.

menanche likes this.
  15. menanche

menanche Boxer

very interesting...

16. ronnie gaikwad

ronnie gaikwad Boxer

if the retention of our game is very close to what voodoo wants and still gets rejected by voodoo then what should we do? which other publishers will accept the retention test and statistics of voodoo? and publish our game? or there are chances of getting your game ripped off

17. spicedbeangames

Dude, if you have questions, please just post a list of them. Asking different questions through the day litters the forums. These questions have all been asked and answered and by searching the forum you will find them all.

If you feel that you've a game that is publisher worthy, make the approach and go from there. Voodoo aren't strict and they are not in the business to rip you off - they WANT you to be successful. If your game fails to meet the standards during a 3 month process, then you are free to self publish or submit to another publisher.

18. TheGameAppStudio

Hey.I thought you understood :mad:o_O .Every publisher evolves with time.They may move to "The Dark Side :p" .There are plenty of post regarding Voodoo and Buildbox on this forum and i suggest you to spend some time searching.Use Keyword Voodoo for a start and you will find the never-ending debate.Hope you understand at least now.send game - test it -
    char ch;
    if(the game has retention >=50)
    do{
    Printf("Follow the next instruction from them Y/N:");
    Scanf (" %c",&ch);
    }
    while(ch =='y'|| ch =='Y');

:):):):rolleyes:

19. EZKad

EZKad Avid Boxer

@menanche : if by ripping off you mean that a publisher will make more money than you with your game then yes, all publishers will rip you off.

so the only remaining solution for you is self publish. this way you'll keep 100%* of your revenues !

* Plot twist : 100% x 0 < 30% x 1M

20. spicedbeangames

I actually meant publishers not paying up. There's been stories of some publishers not forking over what people earned. This has happened from some of the smaller publishers - who appeared to have faded away and then reappeared very recently.