Website Link in App Stores ?

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by Jamie, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

I am trying to plan out my website for my games company, and I need answers to this question before I can proceed with my plans:
    When the developer puts a website link in the corresponding text entry box of their Apple Store profile or their Google Play store profile, can the link be something like ABCgames.com/mobile (a web page, rather than the primary domain) OR does the link have to be ABCgames.com (the primary domain, rather than a web page)?
    I have not yet set up dev accounts with google or apple or amazon, but will soon (in Jan 2016). So I appreciate any insights and answers from the community :)

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

As far as I can tell Apple (or Google) take little notice of where the link points to as long as its relevant to the App in question.

Jamie likes this.
  3. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

Here is why I ask:
    Consider Ketchapp and Appsolute Games. Both have a similar home page, which is set up to function well as the same landing page of a long list of apps that one can easily scroll up or down upon using browsers on their mobile device (really important!) and desktop/laptop device. But, at least in the case of Ketchapp, it is moving games onto Apple TV now, not just mobile. So, it could make sense that for each app store (mobile, desktop, Apple TV), a different landing page might be desirable: one featuring mobile -- specifically iOS games -- plus another featuring Mac desktop games your company makes, and another for the Apple TV platform, and so on (one for XBOX if you release games on XBOX (maybe with buildbox 2?).
    So I am just trying to make sure that when I point people from (a) an app store (mobile, desktop, or otherwise) or (b) from inside a mobile app itself (e.g. on the iOS platform), the link I am letting them use will direct them to a landing page that is useful to them, and useful to me for understanding where traffic to the website comes from.
    Is this do-able with current app store settings, or do the app stores require you to enter just 1 website URL that will be used in, say, your mobile, Mac, and Applve TV store profiles?

Kevin W likes this.
  4. Garyo

Garyo Boxer

I'd recommend using the one URL and then redirecting accordingly

Below is an example you could use with iOS & Android...

I'd definitely recommend this approach and you could also add Google Analytics along with this and that way you will be able to understand your traffic...

Hope this helps you and others :)

stevinz, darone and Jamie like this.
  5. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

Are you saying to add this javascript to the source code of the home page of the website?

6. Garyo

Garyo Boxer

Yeah the index page, add it somewhere between...

<head>
    </head>

This should be what you are looking for :)