Website Feedback

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by AaroArts, Nov 27, 2016.

1. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Hello everyone.

So over the last week or so, I've been building my Website.

I was wondering if a few people would mind checking it out and giving me some feedback?
    It would be handy, especially coming from other game devs and publishers etc.

It only went live today and I'm not much of an HTML coder, so it's pretty basic.

As it stands, I've only put up 7 of my games, but I will be adding the whole catalogue as and when I get time, and of course, new ones.
    I was just keen to get it up.

Would love to know your thoughts.
    Also, I apologise if this isn't in the correct section of the forum. I wasn't sure which sub forum it suited, if any.

http://www.AaroArts.com/

2. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

So some quick feedback. (these are my opinions)
    1. you need a new logo.
    2. the background of the site is flat. In your games the background has subtle gradients, would be good for the site to do the same. (subtle would be good)
    3. I think the color palette of the icons that you have at the top are dull. If you are going to use those make them more colorful or ,maybe even better, make them one color along with the title text. Then the game imagery below will stand out even more.
    4. The social media icons are distracting when in different colors and inconsistent weight/format (lined vs. solid, etc...) Do a google search for "Social Media Icon Sets". Use one of those that have consistent formats. All have a circle around them or all in a box with logo reversed out, etc...
    5. It would be good if there were one game that was highlighted as the "feature" or "our newest" game. Make it larger on the screen and then the rest could be in the grid underneath.
    6. Just a note on your videos, it would be good to get your branding in there.

I could keep going but I think just a few of these changes will help your page dramatically.

I hope this helps some.

Christoph likes this.
  3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Great feedback Jerry!

What I don't know is how much a webpage really does influence the downloads of your games... I have the feeling it is almost equal to zero.

4. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

can i ask you what the name of the templates you are using in your website and where i can find something similar.

5. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

I agree @Christoph . I don't really think a site is going to influence downloads at all. Usually after the fact that someone might go to a site. Maybe useful in cross promotion.

Christoph likes this.
  6. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Yeh, I not hoping this website will increase a demand for games, but it can't hurt :)
    It's just nice to have a back catalogue for existing users.

What do you mean templates?
    I wrote the website myself using HTML/CSS.
    It's very basic. I just use a wrapper to keep the images responsive for different screen sizes.
    The rest is just standard header/body/footer :D

Wow, that a lot of advice. Thank you so much for taking the time to post :)
    I will definitely take all your points on board.
    I specifically love the idea of a feature game spot at the top of the home page. Very nice touch. I will definitely be adding that.
    I also see what you mean about the social media icons; I hadn't noticed it before.

Christoph and jerry like this.
  7. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Anytime @Sam_Aaro. Fortunately or Unfortunately, I am a interactive design professor and a web designer(2 full time jobs plus kids) which leaves little time for game dev.