We Create Experiences

Discussion in 'Gameplay' started by heathclose, Jun 16, 2016.

1. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

What we create may be often referred to as "games" but what we actually create are experiences. I'm curious about your viewpoint as a game dev on your process to construct your experiences.

Is there something you keep in mind when you plan the user experience?

What has your research taught you about what kinds of experiences exist when it comes to games?

Is there an experience you always include in your games?

In any given plan to construct your experience, how do you usually pinpoint what is essential to that experience?

What do you keep in mind when thinking about how your game captures that essence?

Buildbox, JoeWilson and dusan20002 like this.
  2. INKY

INKY Avid Boxer

My experience...from back in the arcade days til now has been for the most part to get that next point/score...or further than before in deeper into the game. Lately I have been focused on creating a game that provides some sort of bonus level...to get the player hooked on anticipation of the next bonus...mini game available.

With BB I always focus on having an addition to the main score...if distance is main score...provide a coin to work towards...if coins the vs...but also keeping in mind progression. It's hard to find a way that toggles between them. I think if I found a way to do that...I could make a truly addictive game. Not there yet.

:)

3. manak4u

manak4u Avid Boxer

I think that experience starts before the user installs his game.

it maybe your coverage article or it maybe your fb page or twitter handle or it maybe as simple as your icon in an organic search.

I cannot say about always cause I am about to launch my first game. but I try to experience all these from a users perspective.

next, it might start from ya marketing but it will definitely end on your game. and you can only plan for the first impression (with all the text, button and scene placements) as you cannot guess what your user is up-to if he logs in on game for second time.

I might not have a substantial experience to comment on this but I know I have enough experience in gaming. Gaming is indeed like an addiction.

Games are mostly constructive. A person should experience emotions like motivation to complete the challenge, happiness on completing the challenge, can be constructive competition, The more emotions experienced the more dopamine is released from endocrine gland. Thus the more emotions the more addictive.

Inky above is absolutely right about the score and points. basically as soon as a person starts playing a game he immediately anticipates his goals consciously or unconsciously, we can play on that. but I would add a build up to the score as well.

Design is definitely a challenge but lets think of it as a game in itself. only difference is we can always do better.