V2.3.3 Layer Depth Order Is Affecting Ability To Move Object

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Phill Mason, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Working in the scene editor in V2.3.3, I've found that if I send an object to the back, I am unable to move it when I select it again. If I bring that object to the front, I can easily select it and move it as per normal. It would appear that the layers depth, is affecting the ability to select and move this object. The odd thing is, I can select it with the mouse and can see the selection box around it highlighted, but cannot move it with the mouse, but I am able to shift it around using the keyboard arrow keys.

** Just playing around with this as I type this post and experienced a crash whilst changing layer depth. Something not right about this whole layering malarky, any ideas @Andy ?

Using an iMac on 10.12.6.

comicsmathias likes this.
  2. ZackGriset

ZackGriset Avid Boxer

Hey Phil! Thank you for reporting this. I actually have been talking with Andy about this the last couple days because I experienced this as well. One work around I found for this as well is deleting the object and then Undoing the deletion. We are taking a look at this and we should have this problem fixed soon. Thanks again for letting us know. :)

3. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Thanks @ZackGriset, good to know I'm not going mental :) I try your workaround and look forward to a fix soon.

** As a side note to this selecting issue, I've also noticed selecting objects from the left hand side menu, often takes 2 - 3 click, sometimes more, to get that object to highlight correctly, so I can edit it on the right. BB sometimes appears as if I'm trying to move it/drag it, whilst I'm trying to select it. I've not seen this odd behaviour before in any previous versions of BB, didn't know if these two things were related??

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yes, selecting sometimes doesn't work or selecting and then moving sometimes doesn't work. But you should try 2.3.2, it has come a long way. :)

5. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Also, selecting an asset that has a X/Y scale of 0 for animations, zooms the UI out completely and the whole UI Scene disappears off screen.

I’ve had to set my assets to a scale of 0.1 to stop this.

6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Scale of 0 is fixed for the next release and this send to back select/move issue that Phil reported should be fixed as well.

AaroArts and Christoph like this.
  7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Very nice Andy, any other animation keyframe issues fixed in the next release? From the ones I reported couple months back?

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Keep in touch with @ZackGriset about your open issues. This does not sound like something we've discussed internally recently.

9. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Actually this isn't one of the open issues I was talking about with Zack. I think I never mentioned this to him. I reported these bugs in one of the forum threads after MC release, I just can't find it right now. But I uploaded a pretty long video showing off the different bugs and @TreySmith (I'm sure he remembers) replied personally to it telling that he will take care of it. That was back in December though. The animation timeline is full of bugs since the early 2.x releases and never became any love.

I'm now polishing several games, mostly working on the UI part so I am once again hitting against a wall with this. There were some bugs fixed in 2.3 but now they are back in 2.3.3, mainly the ones that I couldn't report back then (keyframes get duplicated at the same position). I hope this video wasn't in one of the deleted threads because if yes, I don't have it anymore either. Here's the hope Trey downloaded it though.

10. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

If this is the bug I think it is then it was fixed back in December.

11. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Hmmm not sure what you are thinking off, but no, as I am saying, the bugs are all present in 2.3.3 and pre-release versions (2.3.4) as well.

12. ZackGriset

ZackGriset Avid Boxer

Hey Christoph, I believe I know what you're talking about. At least, I think I remember seeing the thread you're talking about. I'll look for it as well and see if I can find it. Also, I think you might have mentioned at least one of the animation bugs to me. The one about your character and the three frames (Sounds like an old developer Fairy Tale) comes to mind. Is that one of them?

13. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

14. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

I have another key frame bug.

If you drag an animated point (dot on the animation curve) fast enough towards frame zero, you can actually make it pass zero into a negative frame position and not be able to access it anymore.

The dot goes past zero and so does the start of the curve.

I did this in open animation and had to delete the asset.

Christoph likes this.
  15. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

The worst bug that ive spotted started back in 1.x and never has been fixed no matter how many times ive reported it. The bug makes it so i haven't had super success and become rich from making games yet. Can someone fix this for next update? lolololol