Unlock Access To Worlds After X Distance

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Christoph, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

So I'm trying to set up something pretty simple but I can't figure out how to do it. I'm sure someone can help me.

I want to have the menu set up like that, so the user can only access one world at the beginning. When his/her score is equal to 100 (distance) then the other worlds should unlock automatically.

I put a Lock Button over the worlds I want to be locked and I put an event observer. How can I:
    A) link both together?
    B) select that the event observed must be 100 distance?

Or am I doing it completely wrong? And it must be done with something different?
    Any help is appreciated.

2. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

You could have the event observer in the regular ui set to session distance which would be 100 in this case. It then sends the player to another well hidden world or ui with an unlock button. Maybe duplicate the same ui so there will be no change in gameplay and have the observer send you there with an unlock button hidden behind the scenes.

Christoph likes this.
  3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Let me try this. With regular UI you mean the gameplay UI? If yes, how can I put in a level an event observer?

4. brakewind723

Yes the gameplay UI. I'm not entirely understanding your question, but you should be able to have an event observer in the gameplay UI. Same how one is there to trigger another menu upon your death.

Christoph likes this.
  5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Hmmm... I only can set Menu Jump. No event observer there to choose from.

What I'm trying to do is:
    When the user starts the game for the very first time, I want him only to be able to access the tutorial world. After finishing this world he then is send back to the main menu and is able to choose from what ever he likes. Including settings and store. (Actually I want him after the tutorial to visit the first time the store). So I thought I just can put a lock button over all other Main Menu UI buttons so they won't be accessible. And with a event observer I could unlock them all... Isn't this the logic behind these two features?

Update: Ok I found the event observer. I was in the world itself not in the UI. This works fantastic but the character now is not able to go beyond the point of 100 distance. I probably have to do it with coins or points... :D Will keep trying. Nope, the same problem... There must be something much easier than that. I'll keep thinking about it.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  6. brakewind723

Ok try setting the event observer to a copied ui gameplay. Then add an unlock button to the copied ui. You should be able to continue gameplay like that

Christoph likes this.
  7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

When I copy the UI gameplay the jump button stops to work. I think this was mentioned before that it was a bug but because of another bug I can't update Buildbox... so probably I'm stuck. The strange thing is I can't even add a new jump button. There is no such button in the options and the old one I have is set to default... whatever that means. Obviously this is something that changed from BB1 to BB2 but I'm a little lost here.

Doing... found it in Characters button. Damn this BB2 is much more complex than I thought.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Ok, that works great. Thanks brakewind. Now the question is, once the button is unlocked it stays that way, right? The only way to lock it again would be to reset the game... (fingers crossed it is like that).