Tutorial-Text in Game Field UI not working in BB2

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Christoph, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Hi guys,

I'm porting a game from BB1 to BB2. One of the incredible things in BB1 was that we could place a text in the Game Field UI like "Tap To Jump" and make it disappear after a few seconds. It always appeared only 1 time (the first time starting the game) and then when continue playing by clicking the retry button or restart checkpoint button from the Game Over menu, it didn't appear anymore. This was a very nice way of a short tutorial for the player.

Unfortunately, with the new Game Mind Map in BB2 it seems that the Game Field UI is restarted with each restart of the world and as a consequence, the text appears every time. Is there a trick I don't know about to make it appear again just the first time? I don't need my user to say "tap to jump" after every death...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Anyone?

3. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

hmmm... maybe majuscula was made in bb1 then... i literally just asked over on that thread earlier how did he/she get the arrows to appear once and not repeat...

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Is there a method to make it work the same way in BB2 as in BB1, @Andy?

5. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

This is a bug, just figured it out last night actually. It should work properly on a device, just preview is "broken". I've opened and issue for this. You may be able to force it by setting up a "reset settings" (navigation) button. I may have other info on a work around for preview later this week when I have a chance to look further.

Christoph likes this.
  6. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

We probably are not talking about the same @Andy. :D Because my issue is the same on device and in preview. I'm referring to an image that can be placed on the Game Field UI. A lot of games made in BB1 had this and it really is very great to let people know how to play without doing a bigger tutorial. The Line Zen for example had this. Or if we are talking about the same issue, then I can confirm you that on device happens the same. :(

7. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Did you completely remove the game from the device before installing a new build? This would be required to start "fresh" like a new game.

8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yes. I actually have done both. Fresh start on one test device (5s) and another without deleting it first (4s). Both are exactly as in the preview. The image gets repeated every time the game is restarted (checkpoint or from the beginning).

9. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Interesting, I will have to double check that when we are fixing this for preview... there is no reason for that to happen on device. Thanks for the info.