Turn Off The Scale-up Blur For Pixel Art?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Nanotaku, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Nanotaku

Nanotaku Boxer

We're trying to make a "pixel art" game, in perhaps 8-bit style... and I put that in quotes because I'm not at all concerned about the resolution of the screen or if the pixel-character is pixel-aligned (if they move by whole pixels), I just want them to render nicely.

What we're getting (upon appropriate scale-up) is a blurry fuzz. Like the bit at the bottom of this article:

https://www.raywenderlich.com/14865/introduction-to-pixel-art-for-games

Maybe it's antialiasing... maybe it's mipmaps and a 3D projection... I'm not really sure.

Anyone been able to render crisp pixels scaled up in Buildbox?

Did you have to apply hackery and rebuild the Cocos2D library?

I can't fathom a way to push the setAliasTexParameters onto the individual CCTexture2Ds (even if it's just the one, for the atlas), from the top-level things available (like a UIKitApplication*), but it may not be that simple even if I could figure it out. I might be way off in even diagnosing this!

The headers we're given in the build source may not be enough... but I'm hopeful, still.

Thanks!

-Tim

SQUITTER likes this.
  2. Roberto P

Roberto P Boxer

Hi Tim, I agree that would be a great setting to have in BB!

My workaround is to make everything larger in Photoshop, so that I bring all of my pixel art graphics in at 100%. This means each of my pixels are actually 4x4 in size in Photoshop, by using a 4 pixel pencil and turning on a 4 pixel grid to act as a guide.

Cheers,
    Roberto

3. Qdeveloper

Qdeveloper Avid Boxer

I vote for this feature too, It would be nice addition for buildbox setting.