...test my app on my Apple TV

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by heathclose, May 17, 2016.

1. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

I have done some searching and see people say they finally got their app on their apple tv but I can't find anyone saying how... I export to tvos which creates an xcode project... then when I open it in xcode, it shows I can run it in simulator, but how do i physically get it on my apple tv to test it on the device?

2. Aaron F

Aaron F Avid Boxer

First, you need to get the correct USB cable to connect your Apple TV to your Mac then you can run it from Xcode. The USB cable doesn't come in the packaging and its not a standard cable.

3. heathclose

wait... do i need to connect it directly to my mac? do i use the same cable i use to connect my phone? is that a usb-c cable or is that different? the appletv is new 4th gen

4. heathclose

gotchya! i was posting right when you were lol... ok great, thanks very much! I'll go get me a usb-c cable then... appreciate it. :)

5. Aaron F

Aaron F Avid Boxer

If I remember correctly you might need to do something in the Settings also to allow it to be a development device but it's been a while since I set it up.

6. cioccaapps

cioccaapps Boxer

@heathclose When I first setup the Apple TV I also used a USB-C cable, but now I just use TestFlight for Apple TV instead.

7. heathclose

that requires apple review, though, right? If the app isn't ready and there are issues that need to be hashed out and tested, won't apple just reject it anyway?

8. cioccaapps

cioccaapps Boxer

@heathclose TestFlight offers Internal and external testing. Internal testing is for anybody assigned within Users and Roles in iTunes Connect and does not require a review from Apple.

9. heathclose

10. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

In my opinion it is much better to have that cable and put your Apple TV next to your dev machine. Most monitors, even cheap ones include an HDMI input anyways with Full HD, so you do not need an 80" 3D TV set to test a game...

The reason is because you can debug, you can do performance testing and generally speaking it is much faster process to test something out through your local cable jungle than upload things to the cloud and then download them back to almost the same place... If you have a Mac with a USB 3.0 or a MacBook with its single USB-C connector you should be fine, you only need a cable (USB-A to USB-C in the first case or C-C in the second obviously)