Stop What You're Doing And Watch This Video...

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by heathclose, Dec 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

Whatever you were going to do for the next 60 minutes... stop... stop whatever you are doing... whatever you are working on... drop everything... and watch this video... right now.

There is mention, of course, of "The Art of Game Design" by Jesse Schell, which I am an evangelist for after getting turned onto it by @Machine Rises , and reading that together with watching this video will (should anyway) change everything about how you approach game design and using buildbox as a tool.

Tools. Design. Ideas. That is my newly adopted mantra. Tools. Design. Ideas.

Although they didn't use these words specifically or talk specifically about this triad, this is what I've come to gather and boil down from my recent conversations in LA with @Machine Rises and @trudnai : Tools. Design. Ideas.

Tools - https://www.buildbox.com/make-your-own-game/

Design - "The Art of Game Design" and this video

Ideas - "Thinkertoys" by Michael Michalko

2. horsthuber05

horsthuber05 Boxer

Wow! Thank's for sharing such a great video! But what guys think is the "Goal" of an endless runner? Maybe breaking high scores?

3. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Feel like i just leveled up. Great share.

4. telerebor

telerebor Avid Boxer

Very informational thanks for the share. I believe one major thing we could take from this is the part about making a balanced game i.e.
    NOT TOO HARD AND NOT TOO EASY
    [​IMG]
    A lot of BB games I have seen are just way to hard in the beginning. You want the player to feel like :
    "Wow I was so close to passing that if only I had timed it better"
    Instead of :
    "I was so close to passing that, if only the game dev did not make that part so unrealistic hard".

Just my 2 cents.