Skinning Our Apps (and/or Re-Skinning)

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by heathclose, Feb 10, 2016.

1. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

So I wanted to get some insight from you experienced developers on how to go about finding and hiring someone to skin our app.

Right now my app looks like a ransom note because I grab random stuff I google or stuff from the bb artwork to use to develop the app, but at some point I need to pick a direction for the look of the graphics and hire someone to skin it.

For now, I'm assuming I'll have to find someone on upwork.com or fiverr.com or something...

What is the best way to communicate what is needed... how does that conversation even go...

"yah, um... for this doohickey i need a puppymonkeybaby type blah blah blah"

Surely there has to be some technical lingo that I'm not fluent in... sizes and file names and whatnot...

I was wondering if you boxers could help prep me for that conversation...

2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I'm not sure if this is the best way to make games in BB. Since everything is graphic based each object has an impact on how your game behaves. Let's say you get a new character but the dimensions are different, this affects directly the collision shape which affects the physics. Objects behave the same at least if they have physics applied. It for sure is possible but you probably will have to tweak the gameplay again. Somehow this would mean double the work.

I suggest to make a prototype and before creating any levels or anything to do the designer part. I used Twago once for a webpage and regret it till now. I know that a lot of people work like that, but I really believe that local work is always best. You just can avoid communication problems better. In both cases you'll need a very good idea of what you need and/or want. You will have to describe in the best possible way how you want the illustrations make you feel. Look for a lot of inspirational images and hand them over to the designer. A very good place is Pinterest. Also tell him what the proportions are of the different elements. Then, of course, it is also necessary to leave him the freedom he needs to do his work. For that you really need a very good illustrator/designer.

I for sure would ask for:
    1. a small version in 1x1 ratio for Buildbox
    2. a high resolution version (for PR)
    3. the original file (PS, AI etc)
    4. file names without any spaces

Then it also depends if your images all are going to be static or if you need some of them animated. This is an entire different story because if you need them animated you will need them layered properly. Again, if you can hire someone locally everything is a lot easier. It even would be better to create a small team. You - the boxer. Someone else for the design, someone else for the sound-design and a fourth person for the animations. I do everything for myself but I'm sure once I have money I will contract one of my illustrator friends to do the design part for me. :D The rest is easy peasy.

3. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

@Christoph thanks for the reply. What I hear you saying is that it might be best to create using the supplied bb artwork so that replacing the graphics is a more size based conversation to alleviate work down the road... going with a tileset would make remove and replace easier... would that be an accurate understanding to that part of your post?

I'm only about ten levels into my game, and they are mostly to teach the player how to play... so this new direction would not have a huge impact on things... i can do that relatively easy... thanks for that tip

anyone else have insights?