Should I Adjust The Font Atlas / Canvas?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Christoph, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I have an atlas for each font. In my game this is equal to 7 because I have set up 7 different fonts. All of those additional atlases have a lot of free space since some fonts are very small. There is an option to adjust the canvas size when you go into the fonts menu. So my question would be, do I need to or should I adjust the default 512x512 pixels to something much smaller so the font fits almost exactly? Like 128x512? It seems that you can only adjust the width but not the height of the font canvas which gets adjusted automatically.

And if I do adjust the canvas size, does this help with the loading times?

2. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

With that many font atlases adjusting it may make sense and may help with loading time. By how much depends on your other atlases, number of objects etc... Only testing will really tell you what you need to know.

Christoph likes this.
  3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Ok, if this is intended like that I will do so. Thanks @Andy. Just wanted to be sure if it would mess up with something or not.

As a side note: I only have 2 fonts but use different variations of them like light, medium, italic, bold and so on. Would be great if we could chose them within Buildbox.