Shadow Distortion

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Ewan21, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Ewan21

Ewan21 Boxer

I am creating a bounce style game using bb3 and I suddenly am experiencing pixel distortion in my shadows. Please help (Check attached file for screenshot)

Attached Files:

colette_levesque likes this.
  2. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

I bought a Macbook air 2018 and got the same type of shadows (showing up as jagged lines instead of nice shadows). I returned it because i figured the graphics card is not good enough. Also, when previewing the game presets, there is a hiccup every few seconds, like it pauses for a fraction of a second. Not sure if it's the computer having a hard time keeping up, or it's just because the game is looping and it's not a smooth loop o_O

3. Ewan21

Ewan21 Boxer

Thank you! I think that might be the case, I have had this same laptop for a number of years now and it is quite slow. Hopefully it dosent look like this in the finished product.

4. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

I'm eager to hear a reply. I would have thought a laptop that came out just a month ago would be able to keep up even if it isn't a top of the line machine. I don't want to have to design a game trusting that it will look fine in the final product, and i don't want to have to test on a device constantly just to be sure it looks okay. I tried to change the preview device and the zoomed in percentages but nothing helped. Maybe we will get an answer soon :)

5. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

I just saw a post which was not related to our issue but during the discussion Trey happened to mention how difficult it is to program a 3d engine and that there are issues like:
    "Crazy graphic drivers issues, Open GL not rendering shadows on 10% of machines".
    We must be one of those 10%. And maybe it's because i'm on Mojave. Who knows.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  6. Ewan21

Ewan21 Boxer

Thank you again for the help

colette_levesque likes this.
  7. Ewan21

Ewan21 Boxer

I need help making the floor of my game an enemy. I want it to change to the game over screen when the character hits the floor but i do not know how to do this. I am using buildbox 3. Please help

thank you

8. colette_levesque

colette_levesque Boxer

It seems that the Beta 4 of BB3 has made the shadow issue disappear. When i open the previous version, the problem is there again. So it's good that Beta 4 is out. I saw a video to do what you are asking (make floor enemy) and searched for it but couldn't find it. Sorry! Good luck.