Sequence Random Scenes Every X Times

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by AaroArts, Mar 15, 2017.

1. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Hey.
    So I'm trying to make my game get harder, the further the users goes into the game.

How do you set the first 5 scenes to only appear randomly for the first 10 times, then the next 5 scenes to appear randomly for the next 10 times and so on...?

I know you have to use the cool down/play thing but mines not working. I get caught in a loop of the same scene every time :(

Thanks.

2. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Not sure you can do what you want to achieve.
    Cool play down, not working? think you might be confused with how it works.
    If you set cool down on one scene to one, then you will only see that scene avery second time you play the game.
    so if you set 5 scenes to one, then those five scenes won't appear the first time you play it, but will the second time.
    So i use play cool down on what i think is the hardest scenes to play, i normally set them to 4 or 5, so the user can atleast play the game 3 or 4 times without the hardest scenes showing in game to give them a feeling of accomplishment.

AaroArts likes this.
  3. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

You can adjust the Start and End points for each scenes. As you game goes forward the distance is calculated by pixels. Now if you say your scene starts at 1000 pixels, it will not displayed earlier than that. If you have two scenes starting at 1000 pixels, randomly chosen which one is getting there. Because it is random, maybe the very same scene repeats itself many times before getting another one. Beauty of randomness... Now if you do not want the same scene repeating too often, then you can play with the cooldown option...

Ok so the best approach for you might be to place your scenes next to each others and hit the align scenes from the edit menu, and then whichever comes randomly play with their start and end points. Check the first one's starting point in the series and apply that to all of them. Now check the last ones end point and set to all of them in the same group...

AaroArts and playsgames6666 like this.
  4. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Ohhhhhhh. DUH haha. Now I feel stupid.
    Thanks for explaining that.
    I guess thats why I was getting a certain scene repeatedly on loop xD As the others hadn't met the minimum cool play down yet.

Oh, thats a brain ache haha. I think I follow you.
    I've never used aligned scenes before.

playsgames6666 likes this.
  5. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Yeah that is great to do things quick, but if you want to customize that it may take a little bit more time to be honest.

What I was talking about is better to understand and maybe also to edit if you click on that up arrow right next to the +Add button, so it will open the visual editor for the scene arrangements:
    Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 9.58.21 AM.PNG
    So after the Aligment option I was talking about you should see similar things on the screenshot above. Now you can just grab those blobs and drag them left and right to arrange the begin and end time. As a quick demo I have done this:
    Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 10.00.25 AM.PNG
    You can now see that 1,2,3 and 4 are at the same position, they will be picked randomly. After that 5 and 6 are picked randomly. Now you can see that 7 and 8 are also random to each others, but also overlapping 5 and 6. That means that at the beginning 5 and 6 will be picked randomly, then 5,6,7 and 8, and then after that 7 and 8 only... This way you can make smooth transitions in between stages in your gameplay.

NOTE: In my example the distance does not make too much of sense. In real world you should calculate with the size of each scenes (Scene Distance) and then see how that plays off.

6. JoeWilson

JoeWilson Avid Boxer

@trudnai - Can you explain a bit more how the overlapping behaves? I get that at the beginning 5 and 6 are picked randomly... but then what would happen at the end of 5 or 6?

Thanks!

7. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Sure. First of all assume that each scene has 1000 of length - that makes easier to explain. So if 5 and 6 starts at 10000 and ends in 11000, then because their lengths are exactly 1000, there will be one and only once played during the gameplay. Now if you change the end for both to 20000, then those scenes can fit 10 times in that range, so 5 and 6 will be played 10 times with random choice. Now if you have 7 and 8 starts at 15000 and ends at 30000 what happens is that 5 and 6 will play randomly up till 15000, then 5,6,7,8 till 20000 and then 7 and 8 till 30000. So during the overlay both groups has a chance to pick the scenes from.

8. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Oh that is AWESOME.
    Thanks so much for explaining that. I had no idea this feature was so useful.
    Definitely looking forward to trying this out :) Great explanation :)

trudnai likes this.
  9. Randam

Randam Boxer

how to do this with buildbox 3d

10. Selvamax

Selvamax Boxer

How to do the same in Buildbox 3? Buildbox 3 has no timeline editor and scenes villains not randomised, it just keep coming as usual placed