Search Advertising on iOS

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by dmmcmah, Jun 11, 2016.

1. dmmcmah

dmmcmah Avid Boxer

I read in the New York Times that Apple is going to start allowing developers to pay for ads that will come up at the top of searches. This might be helpful but like Google Adwords over time the prices will probably be bid up to the sky again shutting out indie developers.

Has anyone else heard about this? One question I have is will Apple provide search data the way Google does so you an intelligently design your ads or will this be another item of ASO guesswork.

2. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Absolutely, big players will rule that space. But that does not mean no other games will show up in the search results. It only means there will be one or two paid apps before yours even if yours is the most relevant one for the given keywords. But this is also an opportunity for you to get more exposure. It is like creating and ad on Facebook or Google for your app, but you might have a better CTR as who sees that ad is already looking for apps, not just random people trying to browse the net or talk to relatives...

3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Unfortunately I can't agree with you. In my humble opinion, this will only be great for big publishers and developers who can afford it. It will put the indie developers in the second row or even worse, behind all others who are able to pay. Apple is in a big crisis and are looking for new ways to make money. This is one of them and there is definitely no space anymore for the small players like us. Or you are going to grow big or you won't survive. Apple should do a new group for indie developers, lonely wolves and small businesses so we do not compete with the other guys. That for sure would be nice.

4. dmmcmah

dmmcmah Avid Boxer

Indie developers are already back in the last row now.

5. dmmcmah

dmmcmah Avid Boxer

They should bring back the New Releases section but I disagree advertisements are the next best thing.

New Releases gave users an easy place to check out new apps and if you had a good app it would sell. I have been in the app store since 2010 and have experienced the changes. Back then it was straightforward and required no marketing beyond good icon and screenshots. Now people are wasting time trying to game "ASO" and keywords. Good luck with that. The only people profiting are the people selling ASO advice.