Restart Checkpoint from Main Menu

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Selasu, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Selasu

Selasu Boxer

Hey buildbox community :D First time posting on here.

I'm making a level based game on BB2 using checkpoints. I have a "set checkpoint" on every world, and it's working perfectly when I pass levels. When the game over screen appears I have a button with "Restart Checkpoint", and that takes me to the last known checkpoint, works perfectly. The issue is when I click the "Main Menu" button, it takes me back to the Main Menu and when I hit the "Start" button, it takes me back to level 1 instead of the last known checkpoint. Now I realize this is because the "Start" button is set on "default" function, but if I set it to the "Restart Checkpoint" function it doesn't even let me connect the Main Menu UI to the World, as seen in the image attached.

So my question is... how do I make a Main Menu screen that can go to the last known checkpoint? I don't know why it's not working :( The functionality I'm talking about is similar to that of Phases.

1. You can die and go to Gameover and restart from the last checkpoint.
    2. You can quit the app, and the main menu can also take you to the last known checkpoint. (This is the part in my game that is not working).

I hope I've explained myself properly, thanks in advance, and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction :)

Screen Shot 2016-06-29 at 12.16.45 AM.png

2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I'm pretty sure you are confused between what is a checkpoint and what is a world. Worlds are something like levels (and can have infinite amount of scenes). To access a world individually you need to set up a level/world selector. Each world needs a button in the Main Menu UI (or a sub-menu) and from there you can access them. Then, within each world you can place actions that work as checkpoints and you can get there with the restart checkpoint button used in the game over menu or a top menu for each world.

Selasu likes this.
  3. tanvir8955

tanvir8955 Avid Boxer

@Selasu I am quite sure you can not do what you are wanting (I an be wrong). I tried it a lot, even for that challenge I have to convert my game to endless. :(:(

You can read a thread about this https://goo.gl/ccxeD3
    Although not any kind of help. Sorry. You can mail to support and if they reply please keep here updated.

Selasu likes this.
  4. Selasu

Selasu Boxer

Thanks for the quick reply guys :) So if I want to make a gameplay type like Risky Rooms or Phases, which means users can only go to their last checkpoint when they press "start", the levels need to be scenes rather than worlds?

5. windraswastika

windraswastika Boxer

you need to set start button to "start checkpoint", instead of "default".

6. tanvir8955

tanvir8955 Avid Boxer

Then there will be no connection available from the starting UI to world :D

7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yes. Risky Rooms and Phases use only 1 world with a lot of scenes and several checkpoints. In the case of Risky Room every scene has its checkpoint. If you want something like the challenges in Color Switch, then use several worlds instead.

8. Selasu

Selasu Boxer

Ok awesome thanks everyone for he info!!

9. bahaa

bahaa Boxer

hi I have the same problem I want to have the option to select levels from the main menu and i am using scenes as levels