Remove Ads

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Lobsters, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Lobsters

Lobsters Boxer

I'm currently beta testing my app on test flight. When i click the remove ads button, the ads get removed (banners and interstitials) which is great. But it also seems to remove my reward video buttons.

When my player dies and is taken to the Game Over UI they have the option of watching an ad to continue, but this button doesn't seem to appear after I clicked the remove ads button.

Is this how its supposed to function? Remove ads also removes reward videos?

2. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

with the way buildbox 2 is, the remove ads button will remove all ads, but you could send an email to support@buildbox.com and they may be able to help you out. this may be fixed in buildbox 3, but as far as buildbox 2, if there is a way, I do not know.

3. Lobsters

Lobsters Boxer

Thanks for your reply

4. Mancha

Mancha Boxer

@Lobsters Duplicate your reward button, and make the other one free, but make sure they are set correctly in the hierarchy, the free button should be behind/below the reward button(block touch through enabled), so that when a user pays to remove ads, the free button will still be there while the other is removed.

If you're animating the buttons, make sure the anims are exactly the same in the timeline :)

5. Lobsters

Lobsters Boxer

Thanks. Thats a good solution :)

Unfortunately my reward videos with heyzap are a bit hit and miss... they don't appear every time which means regular players will get a free continue.

I spoke to support and they said that reward videos shouldn't disappear when remove ads is purchased, so they are currently looking at my bbdoc to find out whats wrong.

6. Mancha

Mancha Boxer

@Lobsters Pleasure, if you have a separate UI that won't happen, when the button is clicked it will redirect to the ad or game immediately without giving a second chance to click the other button.

Instead of having it in your game over screen with intervals, use event observer in Game Over UI to go Extra Life UI if sessions points/coins/distance is more than specified, then set another event observer in Extra Life UI to go to a duplicate Game Over UI if sessions points/coins/distance is more than specified again, so that the user doesn't see the Extra Life UI each time.
    Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 07.05.52.png

This just an example, experiment with the numbers to suit your requirements:
    E.g. (Game Over UI - Event Observer: 10 session points) ---> (Extra Life UI - Event Observer: 15 session points) ---> (Duplicate Game Over UI) therefore if the player hasn't scored more than 5 additional points, they will continue to see the Extra Life UI, until the points are 15 or more then they will again see the Game Over UI. This cycle will repeat every game session.

In my workflow I've used a timeout if the user hasn't clicked the retry button in time, then it moves to the Game Over UI.

I hope this all makes sense. cheers