Randomize Second Level ?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Nelson4, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Nelson4

Nelson4 Boxer

Hello everybody,

So I just started out with Buildbox and I'm loving it so far!
    I just played around a little bit to get to know the software and it's going pretty good I think.

I wanna start working on my first small project but I have a question about how I have to set my creator settings in the beginning if I want to achieve the following:

Level 1 (always default) -> level 2 (Random, can be level 45 in fact) -> level 3 (random) - > so on..
    Do I also have to do something else to achieve this?

Thank you for your time!
    Nelson

2. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

Nihat likes this.
  3. Nelson4

Nelson4 Boxer

Thank you for your answer!

What I was looking for is the following posted by a BB moderator

Is there any chance you can explain to me how to use this when my character doesn't move in the X direction but only can jump in the Y direction because of the surroundings are moving around, so I can never reach the end of a scene with my character right?

Also I don't really get the part where he says
    Thank you for your time!
    Nelson

4. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

I am not sure if I fully understand what you are trying to achieve, but if you want a steady background while objects are flying in then you have couple of options:

One is when object is not moving at all and all you have is spawning objects with randomized frequency.

Other option could be that background image has zero velocity and therefore it looks like character is not moving - with this option you have more chance to do interesting variations on how enemies are coming for you...

5. Nelson4

Nelson4 Boxer

Dear,
    Thank you for answering.

The part where my background is static and my character is dynamic is already done, I just need to find out how I can randomize WORLDS to play in different order. One of the BB mods posted a method which I posted above but I don't really understand how I can make this, since my character doesn't move (jumps only).

If you have the time for it and you are willing to help me out, I can send you some pictures in an email so you have a better understanding of the whole situation.

Thanks for your time.

6. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

7. Nelson4

Nelson4 Boxer

I came across this earlier, but I think I can't use this on it's own because my character is not moving, so it can't reach the scene end?

8. Nelson4

Nelson4 Boxer

@heathclose can you maybe give me your email or something so I can mail you some screenshots?
    This way it probably easier to understand for you what my problem is.

9. heathclose

Sorry, I don't give out my email... But we will all help you if we understand what your question is, you can post screenshots in this thread, you can host them on Dropbox which is free, just make sure when you embed them you change the zero at the end of the link to a 1 so they show up and explain in detail your issue, video is even better just make sure when you link video from dropbox you change that zero at the end of your link to a one

What I understand you want to use static gameplay and then jump to a random world. In order to achieve this you need to use menu jumps... Create a one pixel start seeing so that you actually spawn into your other scene and then randomize all your scenes in the world and if you've got 100 random scenes make 100 copies of your world ...

or you might be able to achieve something like this with random actions and start check points and next check points it might be possible that way but I haven't tried this

Edit: by the way, all of this might be trying to run before learning to walk.. I suggest learning how menu jumps work and how checkpoints work... This may help spark ideas on how to use them but the understanding won't come before more simple understanding

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  10. Nelson4

Nelson4 Boxer

Dear Heathclose,

Thank you for responding.
    First, I would actually like to apologize for making this a mess.
    I should have shared more information from the beginning.

I fully understand that you are not willing to share your email, so I uploaded it to dropbox.
    Hopefully this will work correctly.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q4a7dycdjvil3zt/AADJs6TZz2vC7V9pNL9cYQ4ra?dl=1

Thank you for trying to help out!

11. heathclose

AHHHHHHHHH.....OK.... got it figured out for you...

The following bbdoc will achieve Random Around the World like what you want....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qt8b482mozo44gs/Random_AroundTheWorld.bbdoc?dl=0

Now... each world has randomized scenes and has a 1 pixel start scene in order to achieve this, and all the worlds are copies of the first world... each scene has a 1 in the cooldown, meaning it won't repeat until it sees 1 player death, maybe you want a 5 in there depending...

the only limitation is that you might get a repeat of randomness so in order to avoid this, after you've duplicated your world (which I assume you would make as many duplicates as you have scenes, but in theory, with play cooldown, you only need 2 duplicates... you will have to experiment) go in and change each scene so that no matter what, even if scene two repeats, it's not the same scene 2.

I hope this makes sense... and good luck!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Nelson4 and trudnai like this.
  12. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

13. Nelson4

Nelson4 Boxer

Thank you for your answer!
    Sorry for my late reply, I was kinda busy this weekend.

I'll look into it tonight and I'll get back to you then if needed.

14. Nelson4

Nelson4 Boxer

@heathclose It works good, the only thing I'm wondering about is in your file, how do you make it skip the start scene?
    Because in my game file it just goes to the start scene and stays there, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    Now I'm just trying to create the same thing that you made, something simple to test the concept.

Thanks for your time!

15. heathclose

Is your start scene blank and only 1 pixel in length?