Publisher Question

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Deliverbo, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Deliverbo

Deliverbo Avid Boxer

Hi everyone @Andy @trudnai @roy

We received a publishing deal for our game Cloud Rider from a developer who has over 3 million active users of their one game.

They are asking me, "In the mean time, do you mind commenting the code so it can be easily understandable? We are also curious how it was programmed? Was it natively programmed or did you use unity?"

I don't know what to say because I don't know how to code, I'm a happy buildbox user :)

2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Well, say exactly that. Don't start the relation with a lie. Also, let the publisher give you some proof of these 3 million active users and watch out that it is from a current date. Because if it's true that's an awesome deal you got here, but if not it would suck. Just saying, that's a lot of active users...

Deliverbo likes this.
  3. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Just tell them that it was made by BuildBox, a codeless game development environment. Tell them you did not add additional code in there and that it was made in the drag and drop builder which is super easy to "understand" for a non-coder like yourself.

But I would not give up source code until NDA signed with them...

Nihat likes this.
  4. Deliverbo

Deliverbo Avid Boxer

Thanks for your replies.

@Christoph I hear you. We all have to watch out for scammers. But I was the one who originally contacted them. Their game has been in the top charts since they first submitted their game in September. It even hit #1 in 8 countries out of all apps in the app store during that time. I was able to see these things for myself.

@trudnai Yes they did ask for the source code, but not until they have sent a publisher contract and I have signed and sent it back. They said a lawyer is looking over their contract right now.

So do I send them the source code or just the folder I export from buildbox?

5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

That would be their call. Just ask what they want to do. But since they might not have a Buildbox license they'll prefer the exported project. But first, you need to add their bundle ID, leaderboard ID, ad networks, appstore link and so on. It won't be a one time thing. You will also have to transfer your app to their own account. If they do have a Buildbox license they might just ask you for the project. But make sure you agree first what they can do and what not and what's your role in the entire thing when it comes to decisions. :)

Congrats mate!

Nihat and playsgames6666 like this.
  6. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

If it is in your contract that they need your source code you can send the .bbdoc file (not the exported one)

Deliverbo likes this.
  7. sysads

sysads Serious Boxer

Why complicate things for yourself. First get the signed contract and in that contract specify what needs to be sent to them for whatever reason they need it for. I believe Buildbox is based on cocos2d-x

Deliverbo likes this.
  8. bluemoonstudios

bluemoonstudios Avid Boxer

@sysads it is based on cocos2dx but when you export the xcode project it's just full of XML files not actual code. So giving them the xcode project is probably useless anyway unless they want it to add things such as analytics or something.

@Deliverbo like the others have mentioned, just let them know from the start that you have built this game using BB and did not program it, then leave it up to them to either still want the xcode project or the BBDOC file or both.

All the best bud and congrats!! :)

Deliverbo likes this.
  9. Deliverbo

Deliverbo Avid Boxer

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    trudnai likes this.