Problem With "play Cooldown"

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by MichKrane, Nov 2, 2016.

1. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

Hello guys, I am in the process of making an endless game with a number of scenes that need to be played randomly, BUT I don't want the same scene to appear two times in a row. I made sure all my scenes are randomized and I set the "play cooldown" value for each one to 3, but when I test the game it seems that the same scene still sometimes appears two or even three times consecutively. I don't know if I am missing something or if I don't understand how the "play cooldown" works, but can someone help me through this?

Thank you in advance

2. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

If you set play cool down to 3 every scene it is defeating the purpose really,
    maybe you can do some 1 some 2 some 3. and majority 0.
    But i use it mainly on only 1 to 3 scenes that are really hard to get through.
    But if you have 50 to 70 scenes as recommended in a endless random game then getting two scene in a row is very rare but happens sometimes.
    play cool down stops a scene being seen in game play until you die. so if you set a scene to play cool down of 1 you won't see that scene until you replay the game. So if you set 5 scenes to 3 then those 5 scenes won't be seen until you die 3 times.
    so i think setting all to 3 would probably be confusing the system?

3. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

Thank you, that was VERY clarifying. I thought that cooldown was simply a number which guaranteed that the selected scene would NOT reappear until AT LEAST 3 OTHER scenes play, and then it would be available to appear.
    However, my game's mechanics are set in a way that IF the same scene appears twice in a row, the game breaks(no bugs or glitches, it's just every scene has portals with a specific Group ID number). So I can't allow that to happen, NOT EVEN ONCE.

So let's say I have 20 different scenes, which I want to play randomly ENDLESSLY, without one of them appearing 2 times in a row, how can I do that?

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I thought as well that this was how it worked. @playsgames6666 are you sure it works how you described it?

5. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

Actually he is right, I tested it a couple of times. I also searched to find how "play cooldown" works before I even posted my problem here, but the only applicable post I found was this:
    https://www.buildbox.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-is-play-cooldown.5607/

I didn't comprehend Heathclose's explanation 100%, and since "play cooldown" is not mentioned ANYWHERE in the buildbox.pdf guide, I went ahead and created this thread

But now I understand how "play cooldown" works, I realized that I may not be able to do what I need to do in order for my game to work properly

So the question remains : How can I have a number of scenes playing randomly without one of them appearing two times consecutively, not even once?

playsgames6666 likes this.
  6. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

Or if the above is not possible, is there a way to make a scene appear only one time in every game play?
    For example, the first ten scenes the player will encounter will be randomly selected from a random 30 scenes I stacked for that section of the game (I hope I make sense), and then another 30 scenes will be stacked for the next section of 10 scenes that the player will go through and so on.
    My question is, if there is no way of making sure that a scene won't repeat itself back to back, is there a way to make sure, that if a scene is played, it won't appear again? That could solve my problem too.

7. playsgames6666

Not really sure on that one, all i know is the more scenes you have the less chance 2 will play one after another. Sorry

8. playsgames6666

yea I'm 96.38% sure LOL
    I have actually tested it with a test file with only 5 scenes in it and anything with a cool down play set as 1 won't show until game over and restart 1 time.
    Also there is a post that MichKrane has mentioned above where heathclose explains it.

Christoph likes this.
  9. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

Can anybody help me?
    Is there a way to do what I want?
    It can't be impossible, only a few things are impossible with buildbox, I mean how hard can it be to have a scene never play two consecutive times but still randomly appear?

10. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

If the cooldown feature is to make a scene appear after X amount of deaths then using a value of 1 will do exactly what you want. The scene will randomly appear only once until you restart the world (= 1 death). What is it that's not working?

11. MichKrane

MichKrane Boxer

THANK YOU!!!

I don't know how I missed that solution, it was right in front of me!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Christoph likes this.
  12. ashcarter

ashcarter Boxer

@MichKrane can you share your solution. As even I'm facing the same issue... with my portal and repeating scenes. And I have to make my game for the game jam. Any news on it yet @Christoph?

P.S:
    I'm using BB 2.3.3