Problem - Character Slips Through Objects Collision Shape.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Phill Mason, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Using BB v2.2.9 Build - #1580
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hi BB folks. I have a little problem with an Isometric game I've just started working on. I'm just working with an adapted Iso Jump preset and have only added in my own iso-cube and character so far for testing, but I'm experiencing the character occasionally, slips through my platform (the iso cube) collision shape.

Anyone else experienced this before?

2. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

I had something similar and it turned out to be the Ghost Jump Collision was ending up the other side of the platform because due to gravity.

You could check that/play with the force movement/gravity :D

You never know. Good luck.

Phill Mason likes this.
  3. Phill Mason

Thanks @AaroArts, I've been tweaking and playing around with that one for a while now, trying to get a good dynamic and also trying to stop the character slipping through. It's almost as if the collision shape's strength, alters based on jump strength or velocity etc.

I'll keep playing around with it to see if I can strike a happy medium. Thanks again.

4. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Maybe you could just widen the platform Collision?

Anyway, I hope you find a solution :D

Phill Mason likes this.
  5. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Hi, Have you tried the latest version of BB 2.2.9 Build 1704 (Final Version)?
    I would even ask you if you have tried in another previous version such as BB 2.2.8.

Phill Mason likes this.
  6. Phill Mason

Hey @jcalle, thanks for the idea, no I hadn't tried in either of the other versions you mentioned. To be honest, I completely forgot about build #1704, as build #1580 has been stable for me for some time now.

Ok, I just tried V2.2.9 - build #1704 and V2.2.8 and it does the same in both, drops through the platform.

I'm going to try and widen the platform collisions even further, as @AaroArts suggested.

AaroArts likes this.
  7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Have you ghost jump and gravity? I think that doesn't work. You can't have both. Ghost Jump is not designed to work with gravity applied. Gravity must be set to zero.

Phill Mason and AaroArts like this.
  8. Phill Mason

Hey @Christoph, are you referring to the Ghost Jump Gravity or World Gravity?

My world gravity is set to zero, but I'm using both 'Jump Velocity' and 'Jump Gravity' in the Ghose Jump settings. (See Pic).
    I've messed around with these setting s many times I've lost count, but the tricky part is, I can play around with a couple of scenes for 2-3 minutes without it happening and then the next time within 10 secs, so it's not consistent, but you wouldn't release a game with this issue.

I think I'll send my demo to support, see what they think. Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Charc & Ghost Settings.png

9. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Is this a preset?

10. Phill Mason

@AaroArts, this is my tweak of the Iso Jump preset.

11. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

My preset works ok.
    And I changed to your values.

If support can’t help make a video so we can see :D

Phill Mason likes this.
  12. Phill Mason

Thanks for checking mate, much appreciated. It must be a setting I've made, perhaps with my character, as the Iso Jump preset is working fine. So, I'll check with support, or may even trash the Ghost Jump all together, as far as I can see, the only benefit of using it in a jump game, is to be able to add a different collision shape to your jump animation - right? I can't seem to recreate the two different collision shaped that are in the preset. If you look at the ghost jump collision, it's right about the animation, so when you jump, the collision shape is above what you're trying to jump over, makes sense right, but if I create a new character and try the exact smae settings, my collision shape ends up at the bottom of the ghost jump animation, very odd.

As you mentioned, I'll post a video if I don't progress, thanks.

AaroArts likes this.