Preview Videos

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by kodagames, Nov 30, 2015.

1. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Preview Videos:

Does anyone have any tips on how to create videos for all the various screen resolution sizes?
    I'm currently getting ready for an app submission but having difficulties making a video for all of the required sizes.

I was able to use QuickTime Player to record a video (from my device) and used iMovie to export it as an app preview (1334 x 750) which is great for 4.7 but haven't found a way to create one for the rest:

iPad =1200 x 900
    iPad =Pro 1200 x 900
    4.7 =1334 x 750
    5.5 = 1920 x 1080
    4 = 1136 x 640
    3.5 (no video option)

That's a lot of different sizes and I haven't even dug into the Android ones yet. Is there something out there that would allow me to export a video in all these different sizes? (Mac computer (preferred)), but could get my hands on a PC if needed).

It would be great to hear your workflow and what works for you (software wise, etc). And Im sure others would benefit from this post as well (I know I could use the help :))

2. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Hello, I use the standard resolution of HD, Movies, TV:

1920 x 1080 (widescreen 16:9)

Apple has several resolutions for different devices, the only option is a standard resolution, and black bands on devices appear.
    Android uses aspectro 16:9 and 16:10 and sometimes 4:3 tablets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

3. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

I have tried quite a few paid apps from Mac AppStore to resize pixelwise the video, only expensive ones worked well. Then I have firgured out cheap ones use ffmpeg library only adding a user interface and unfortunately they use wrong settings for the ffmpeg so the resulting video is non-playable by QuickTime nor iTunesConnect accepts them. So I have ended up using ffmpeg from command line - google how to install and how to use with the right arguments as you are not the only one with this question. i will look it up if you cannot find it.

Btw: Always make the video on your iPhone 6 Plus for the iPhone platform and scale it down. iPhone 6 (4.7") accepts 6 Plus resolution, no need to resize for that. iPhone 5 has a very similar aspect ratio but need some pixel adjustments if I remember well -- and that's where most software failed, other failed with the wrong encoders...

4. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Probably just using Handbrake with some minimal cropping/resizing will work dandy and it is free. I have not tried this specifically for Appstore trailers... so I'm not 100% it supports all the formats and everything else that might be needed. But I've used it extensively in the past enough to know that it SHOULD be capable to do this.

https://handbrake.fr

netkomm likes this.
  5. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Totally AWESOME!!! Thank you guys sooo very much!!!

@Andy under Picture settings (of Handbrake) your able to set the output to the file sizes you need :) Fantastic!

Jamie likes this.
  6. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

@TreySmith recommends Compressor, at least I think that was one he mentioned

7. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

Quick Update:
    After trying many different options and versions of software I stumbled across something called Screenflick which really works well and is easy to use (so far my favorite). There is a price tag of $29 but the ease of use makes it worth it to me. There are also black bands when scaling up to a larger size than what you recorded it at but the video quality remains good. One last note is it doesn't bog down the computer.

So there are many Pros and many Cons but this one seemed to ease all my frustrations down to an acceptable level :)
    Here is the link incase someone wants to use the trial (watermarked) to see if it might work for you:
    http://www.araelium.com/screenflick

These are great forums, thank you all for your help! Anyone else want to post what they think is a good alternative please add it.

8. cioccaapps

cioccaapps Boxer