.png sequential animation length

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by heathclose, Mar 3, 2016.

1. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

how can we gage how many .png images we need to make a certain time length....

for example... If I want to make a powerup animation that lasts 6 seconds, how many png images do I need?

2. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Hey @heathclose , I really depends on how complex your animation is over those 6 secs. Film is typically 24/25 fps (frames per second) and animation 30 or 60 fps, which is great for consoles etc, but for mobile devices, we tend to go for as fewer frames as we can get away with to keep the cpu down. I like to make 1 second animations at 30 frame and then add only half (15) of them to BB and set the animation speed to 0.5, so the animation will last 1 second with only half the frames. Depending on the desired outcome, I try 12 frames and sometimes 18, but 15 is a good benchmark for a really smooth visual.

Based on that, you would need 90 frames (15 fr x 6 sec) for a 6 second animation, which is a shed-load of frames, so I'd be inclined to test and see how good 10 frames look and go for 60 frames with an animation speed of about 0.3.

JustWatchApps likes this.
  3. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

@Phill Mason thx for that, when I get home I'll give it a try

Phill Mason likes this.