Path not working

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by garygallagher84, Jan 27, 2016.

1. garygallagher84

garygallagher84 Boxer

When the character collides with the path, it just sort of "clings" to the starting point and hovers around it, but it doesnt move at all (doesnt follow the path). It also does not allow the character to be moved with the controls after touching the path. Am I setting something up incorrectly, or is this a bug that other people have encountered also?

2. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Just experienced the same thing @garygallagher84, reckon it's a bug as it's no good like that. I also want to know how to delete parts of the path? Everything I've tried just deletes the entire path. Is this not working right yet @Andy?

3. todro

todro Avid Boxer

Works for me, added a path to the simple demo and when hitting the path, it follows the track

@Phill Mason, you can delete a segment if you click on the small circle at the end of a segment, then two + will be shown (left/right or before/after), hitting the delete key will delete only the segment between the two + signs.

4. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

On a Mac use Fn-Delete key combo to delete a path point (or a curve point in the menu editor for that matter). We're fixing this to be more Mac standard in a future release. It's a common problem because of the confusion between Windows Backspace key and Mac Delete key.

5. todro

todro Avid Boxer

@Andy Will Redo recreate the deleted path ? At the moment it doesn't.

6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Right now undo/redo works for deleting and restoring the object itself, it does not support editing the path at this time.

7. Phill Mason

Thanks @todro I tried it in the Simple Demo and the path logic seems to work ok, but it doesn't seem to work in all game types. I was trying to get it to work in Racing, but no luck. Regarding the delete issue, it's not working right for me, if I select any of the small yellow circles, the two x + signs appear just like you say, but whatever I do, it just deletes the entire path.

I'm on a Mac by the way, what about you?

Any chance of a manual/video covering this topic please BB Team?

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

@Phill Mason Use the key combo "fn-delete" (function + delete) for the moment.

Phill Mason likes this.
  9. Phill Mason

Great, that works @Andy, cheers.

10. todro

todro Avid Boxer

@Andy As it works for me too without using FN, I guess it's related to the Microsoft keyboard I'm using with the MAC at the moment *sigh*

@Phill Mason You are right, doesn't work for me when choosing racing game type

11. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Yeah, ultimately it's a hardware conflict... the code that Windows and Mac hardware sends is different and requires workarounds to get working in the more natural way both Mac and Win users expect. Should be OK in the next Early Access release.

12. garygallagher84

garygallagher84 Boxer

Thanks for the replies, you guys. I really appreciate it. :)

Phill Mason likes this.
  13. DeadlySeriousMedia

DeadlySeriousMedia Avid Boxer

@Andy So paths are still broken or is it only broken when porting a BB1 game over to BB2?

14. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I'm not aware of any specific issues with paths for a while now. What is the problem?

15. DeadlySeriousMedia

I moved a game from BB1 to BB2 and when I add a path only the character will connect with it. If I set it to assets nothing connects with it.

16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Seems to be working fine. Did you make the asset a physics object?

17. DeadlySeriousMedia

It has to be physics? That sucks. Any plans for fixed working with paths? Since the objects MUST touch the entry point to follow a path it become impossible to have the object move along the path in consistent patterns with even spacing.