Object Delete Threshold

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by patostar, Nov 17, 2018.

1. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

Hello, I want to make a platformer game, so character can go far up and down, I found the solution which is giving object delete threshold a high number, so platforms where the character lands won't be deleted and it worked, BUT my question is if I set it to a high number (backs and sides deletion) will the game crash or lag?

2. Squiggz

Squiggz Boxer

it shouldnt, but why would you want to go far up and have the ability to go all the way back.
    Easiest thing ive learned is to build with buildbox not against it.

3. The Pumpkin Studios

The Pumpkin Studios Moderator

@patostar Hi! Highest i have gone is 5000 Units above the game level in a platformer game, and it didn't crash. my threshold was again high, but i did notice performance issues after 30 or so levels in a world as a lot of data doesn't get deleted since the delete threshold is high. another thing i noticed, that is player was easily "Cheesing" through a lot of areas as the previous areas were not deleted.

I did a work around for both, by adding more worlds and not letting player walk back by creating 1 sided invisible coliders to solve this.

I never needed to go above that. Hopefully this may have helped you.

patostar likes this.
  4. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

Thanks for your help, I will definitely not use higher than 2000, I am using many worlds too, but since it's a platformer game, the character needs to go far up and down, I was just worried that it may crash, when I finish the game, I will test it on many devices, I hope no performance issues happen.

5. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

Hi, Like I said because it's a platformer game, the character can go up and down, not just one platform, it will be boring, thanks for your comment man.

6. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

I know a build of a platformer game that has very high deletion threshold because it allows exploration. Since 2.3.6 i think it doesnt affect performance as much as it did in old versions (bb 2.2.x)

7. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

Oh! I am using 2.3.3 I hope it doesn't affect the performance, I will not set it to higher than 2000 or maybe 2500

8. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

lol why are you using 2.3.3?

9. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

I can download 2.3.7 but I have no idea why lol

10. Hanomax

Hanomax Avid Boxer

I have some worlds with deletion threshold 55 000. No performance problems (ver. 2.3.7). Also in those wrolds, there is only one scene.
    And you want to add some mechanics which take care of spawners. For example, if bullets leave game view, they get deleted (borders which destroy those objects).

11. Squiggz

Squiggz Boxer

I think you will be fine mate! If you run into any errors or lag let us know. make sure to leave debug on and check your fps :)