Nodes / Smart Assets

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by PunkPuffin, Mar 23, 2019.

?

Would you pay for Nodes / Smart Assets

Poll closed May 22, 2019.
  1. No

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Yes

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

Hi Everyone,

There seems to be a lot of desire for Nodes and/or Smart Assets in BB3. I’m sure there is quite a range of desires for what these might actually do. I wanted to run a little survey to see how many people might be interested in paying for these. I ask as I might be able to do some of what people want but there are limits as I too have to work within the BB boundaries of what we have access to in terms of APIs etc but I can give it a shot. I’m sure the BB team are doing their best with the core so spending time on Nodes might be lower on the list for now.

I don’t have all the time in the world to do this sort of thing hence my query about willingness to pay.

As an example which I’m still fine tuning here is a vehicle I’ve been working on and have been approached by people to sell

Bilz636 and viking like this.
  2. rjp996tt

rjp996tt Boxer

I would pay to have a custom Node made...

3. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

Any interested people can also PM me

4. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

This is a tough one for me. I do see that yes with BB3 being mainly coder friendly that this does open up good business opportunities for coders out there BUT since BB's core is anyone can make a quality game without writing a single line of code, then people shouldn't pay out of necessity but more so out of just plain not wanting to create said mechanic. Right now the noncoders are totally dependant on the coders right now which is not a good thing in my opinion.

5. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

I think there will always be things you can’t do with pure nodes unless you go to such a fine grained node system you migh as well learn to code.

I’m not trying to stay s business I want to make games. I only posted as I had been approached anyway and I thought I’d see if there was wider interest.

6. thatguyminib

And that is why they need a visual scripting tool XD

7. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

If you go there just learn to code. Dragging such fine grained nodes is more painful.

I don’t believe BB was ever meant to be or is going to be a visual scripting tool. People complained about BB2 not letting you do this and that so now BB3 allows hooking nodes up for functionality and scripting which is great.

Higher level nodes such as those that exist in BB3 that do multiple actions under the covers is exactly what it was meant to be. These greatly simplify the more complicated tasks that are encapsulated in the node. A side effect of that is that nodes will not be all things to all people there will always be those who whisk it could just do this or that. A lot of that tweaking can be done in the Scripting node yourself.

Anyway this post was aimed at those who were interested in my idea not a bag BB session

8. thatguyminib

You are right my good person and for that, I apologize. The last thing I will say is that although you prefer to write code there are others that would prefer to do it visually. I know plenty of artists that can't write a lick of code but given a visual scripting tool they are able to do just as much as a programmer just they understand things better when they can visually see things connecting to others.