My Thoughts On Nodes

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by thatguyminib, Mar 1, 2019.

1. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

I just read the blog post and let me say I love the bi-weekly updates I feel this will help with the community not feeling left in the dark. I also do like that BB2 is being integrated in a way that people can build 3d games just like they would in BB2. So it brings another layer on making games and caters to non-coder, which is great.

I do have a thought about nodes and let me know what you all think. Also disclaimer I have no idea if this would even be possible at this point in the engine but hey I just want to express my thoughts.

So at the moment, the only people that can create nodes are coders. Great idea that the community and bb can provide non-coders with new nodes, but this leaves a problem. None coders now need to wait and rely on bb and people of the community to create nodes for them.

A solution I have thought about is having nodes act more like a visual scripting language. So sure we still have the nodes that do big chunks like Movement and all that, but we also have a node/visual scripting solution that is modular in a way where non-coders can make their own logic/nodes. This way they don't need to rely on others in order to get a mechanic or piece of logic that they need to be done.

Like I have said this is just a thought. Also if you have yet to read the blog post you can do so here: https://www.buildbox.com/buildbox-3-update/

2. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

That sounds like a brilliant concept, like BB inside BB. I imagine it would take some work to build though.

3. Bilz636

Bilz636 Avid Boxer

how about a separate program called "NodeBox".
    i like the concept.

4. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

Yeah, I don't think it would be something easy to do in the slightest but it was just an idea I had. This way it kinda ensures everyone is on the same playing field and everyone can help each other with creating nodes, rather than just the coders.

Please no NodeBox lol they will just charge us for it XD

Bilz636 likes this.