My Experience With Buildbox

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Clixo Games, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Clixo Games

Clixo Games Boxer

My opinion on buildbox-3
    This is not an insult or meant to be rude or anything, its just my opinion

• The first thing I have to say is that I don't use a buildbox for non-coding or to make simple games. I see buildbox as software like unity and any other game engine since there is almost nothing I can't make in bb (2D aspect)

• The reason I use buildbox is simply, it's the way how everything is easy to understand and make things with. The little things like putting sounds, animations, custom physics/behaviors, normal/custom ads system. It's the simplicity and the pace of bb that makes me choose the game engines over others. Nothing is perfect and in my opinion, bb is not far away from being perfect for coders. There are a few big things that make bb a bit hard to use and hopefully these little (big) things will get priorities

Some questions for the bb team

• I know this may not be an easy task but when can we expect a performance boost to the android side. Its not a big problem but it can become if you have a larger game (even if I make the performance from code the best as I can)

• When can we expect more communication on what's going on, what can we expect on an upcoming update, and even when we can expect it. I feel like this is a must asap (I and I'm sure many other contributors would love to make this happen)

• Before you read this, I know things just don't happen in a blink of an eye, but I'm sure a lot of people can relate to this. If we take a look at the date of the updates and the details of the updates, we don't see a lot of fixes to things. As far as I know, there isn't much to fix when you can code things yourself, but there are backend things we can't fix ourselves and that is when I wonder "what is going on?", "why is this taking so long?", "Have they given up?" etc.. As a customer and as someone who wants to use buildbox professionally, this gets me worried. For example, I waited almost half a year to get something simple fixed. I reported it many times, tried to get an update on what's going on when I could expect it to get fixed. All I got was "soon", "don't know yet I can check-up", "let me ask the team" There is nothing wrong with that but the problem is the speed and lack of interacting with the customers. What worries me is that bb has changed a lot since last year and that's good, but I feel like some other things aren't a priority as it should be!

• I think overall my question on this topic is why aren't there focus on bugs fixes asap. If there was I and others could even make more templates. I have made a character shop system, inventory system, follow node for 2D, 2D top-down and 3D, crossbow system, 2D, and 3D shooter template, and many other boxers have made even more templates. All of that is possible due to javascript from bb and that is what I love about bb! Everything is possible but we may get stuck from time to time if there is a bug. That's why I think bb should focus on fixing bugs asap. Let's try to imagine bugs getting fixed asap. From there I and many other contributors can make whatever that is needed for us and others.

• I also have to say many of my templates are outdated and not good for performance, and that's gonna change soon! I am planning on reworking every template I made and will continue to make more! (when some bugs gets fixed!)

Is bb good for people with game development experience?

First of all, you have to understand that bb is based on making mobile games. Other engines are based on not only mobile games but many other things, so you have to make sure you're targeting mobile games to get the best out of bb for now!
    Now that being said... This message is based on people who know to code and want to use buildbox with their own code style to make games. There is no difference between using buildbox or software like unity, in fact, unity can be more difficult to use.

My experience over 1-2 years with bb3 is almost everything is possible if you can code js-(javascript)
    If there are some things that aren't possible it's probably because of some simple backend bugs that haven't been fixed/added yet
    I have learned through many hours that whatever you can think is possible. I and surely many others don't rely on nodes/assets from BB, we make them ourselves, just like you would on any other game engines.

One important thing that you must know, is that bb3 isn't the greatest for 3D performance-wise and sometimes even for 2D. But that doesn't mean that it's so bad, it could just be way better for now!

If you don't know how to code some great people helps other customers to make templates that fit your needs! That's what's great about buildbox, A software is only as good as the community contributes to it. Luckily we have a great team from bb and the customers for that!

Let me know you thought on bb!

Last but not least, I want to thank the buildbox team for what they have done with bb3 and what to come with in the feature!
    Special thanks to Sean for the best support you can ask for, he made sure my and for sure other customers' problems were solved and listened too!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  2. CSL Games

CSL Games Boxer

Hi Clixo!

Enjoyed your review on buildbox, and I can with no doubt say I feel the same in some areas that you covered!
    I'm currently not a big part of the community and I'm mainly just focusing and relying on myself if I have to get anything done.
    Just like you, I don't see buildbox as a "Drag N, Drop" software, but another software like unity where code is the main focus!

I have to say that even tho we have the option to code, there are some bugs in the software that needs to be fixed as soon as possible. I have myself stood upon a few of those bugs.
    I strongly agree on the fact that the bug fixes should be the number one priority. Who wouldn't love to have weekly fixes if there are some!

Like everyone, I am tired of hearing "soon" when we ask for something. I don't feel like months is "soon", we as customers on your product show get more info about the date of the fixes in general.

Greetings
    Jasper

Clixo Games likes this.
  3. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

hello, I will try an answer these to the best of my abilities.

we do apologise that you feel that this is taking too long and I want to assure you it is something that working on. Unfortunately, it is quite a big task where we need to figure out a way to fix this issue without breaking someone else’s game.
    So we actually used to do this as we wanted to keep the community up to date. We would often give an estimated date for the release. However, there was an issue that was created because of this. Some updates were harder than anticipated, which meant that we had to delay the updates. (If you want to offer feedback on this, please contact us at support@buildbox.com)
    Unfortunately, we had to stop giving dates because our members were not happy about the constant changes. The reason we didn’t give an over estimated date, was because we believe that our members shouldn’t have to wait for something that is ready. Most other companies tend to use the extra time to market.
    We do prioritise issues that have a high amount of users coming to support@buildbox.com for. The reason we do this, is because it’s the only way to know all the different kinds of issues that we are having.

4. Nino

Nino Boxer

I had got the pro version and made quite a few games but never released them, stopped using the engine for a lot of the exact reasons you mentioned. Being a developer and having bugs not fixed for awhile is a major problem, and not having access to the engine so I can just fix it myself is also another major problem. When a engine can’t be reliable especially when it comes to how slow it takes for bugs to get fixed and new features (performance improvements, light improvements, or any improvements) to come out can be a huge impact on development. Performance is a incredibly big problem, I had created a low poly game and it had seemed like I was playing Skyrim on a 2005 android and no my computer does not have low specs. Hopefully they are able to fix a lot of these issues in the coming years but unfortunately I will not be coming back to this engine.

5. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

My friend, you have way to much expectations from a game engine that was focusing initially on hyper casual games. The bad thing is that there are many boxers who thinks that this is the drag and drop engine that has the potential to create the next Cyberpunk game... To be honest I truly think that good games can be made with this engine but great games or unicorns require some coding beside the knowledge of marketing, game creation and many many more

6. Nino

Nino Boxer

I’m not entirely sure what you think my high expectations are, but it’s honestly just the very basics that any engine should have. Buying a piece of software for $300 on sale, I think most people would have pretty high expectations on what it can do. It is unfortunate that people think they will be making the next big thing using their drag and drop when they buy this (I honestly could care less about that feature). I don’t have doubts that this engine can make games (most, replicas of other games), and probably get a few hits. Like you said though, I expected to much apparently and didn’t do enough research before purchasing this product.

7. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

The same thing happened to me a few years ago and nowdays I don't even use that drag and drop option anymore I create everything from scratch, but I remember this engine being a lot more worst that it is now... the good thing is that the future is looking good therefore I decided to give it another chance but we will see... I can't predict the future but I can influence some people in coding secrets