Mobile-gaming Titans Keep Ripping Off Indies - Voodoo

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by zoobi, Aug 4, 2018.

1. zoobi

zoobi Boxer

Wait when it will happen to you !!!
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/07/11/mobile-clones-app-store-google-play-indie-voodoo/

I suggested over and over again if we share information about how to promote successfully hyper casual games and help each other as a community , instead keeping feeding the monster !
    This monster worth 500M$ and they arent care about you, many Reddit articles ppl claim they just try to milk anything that connect to their game, and they not publish it at all

You all disrespect my suggestion about it, but WAIT IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU
    Maybe we should reconsider how can we guys help each other
    But sadly from my experience with you guys, i am waiting for all the bashing comments on me
    oh well, always worth trying bros

2. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

Voodoo’s strategy works because they market to people who wouldn’t describe themselves as gamers. This allows them to make and publish simplistic games loosely based on good ideas for people to use when they happen to be bored.

I personally think this strategy will ultimately backfire because all of these non-gamers are quickly becoming gaming fans due to their exposure to Voodoo games and as their newfound hobby matures they will want more complex game titles that Voodoo will not be able to deliver.

You have to realize that though the App Store is a decade old, it’s still extremely immature and still evolving. This fad where only a few publishers pump out clones and really simple games won’t last much longer. As the mobile platform matures people will demand better products. If you were to compare the mobile game platform with the console game platform, mobile gaming is still stuck in the Atari age, where games are cheap, reused and not very complex. The renaissance, the NES age, hasn’t come yet. I foresee it coming soon. Both Nintendo and Epic have proven that successful AAA game titles on mobile are possible. Other developers are noticing.

Buildbox 3 couldn’t have come at a better time.

3. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

Hyper Casual games with simplistic graphics will continue to thrive in the marketplace and its growth projections have continued to be predicted for the coming years because as you stated their are young new gaming fans constantly entering the market. Not to mention that this is also a huge International genre that many people obviously love.

I can tell you from beta tests, some people really don't want all the graphic elements, they want a simplistic casual game that they can fire up while waiting in a line or whatever. I have seen these comments over and over from beta testers and it always surprises me. Many prefer the 2D look rather than the 3D. Yet there is a 3D market that is growing, but doesn't seem to be effecting the 2D market much if any. Players prefer what they prefer and many refuse to budge.

Cloning games has always been part of the marketplace, some developers infuse their clone with new concepts, while others just do a straight clone. Of course developers hate it, especially when it is your idea being cloned. But to think you can stop or prevent it is crazy, it won't happen. It is a money stream; marketplaces, publishers and developers will follow that money stream until it drys out. It really isnt worth wasting a lot of energy on, since you can't change or stop it.

If you track the top 100 free games you see that it is dominated by clones, simplistic design games. In fact the heavy immersive graphic games hold a very small percent of the top 100. This has been the case for a long time and I personally believe this will continue because of the new players constantly entering the marketplace. This is also a topic that Trey Smith mentions many times in his videos and when checked you can see its the facts. Truly opened my eyes.

The trends show that the simplistic, minimalistic design isnt losing steam, in fact it appears to continue to grow at a rate that clones are making money on this growth, which is a sign that these players grasp a concept and search for more that have similar game play. That alone should tell developers a lot and in many ways is a compliment to the original developers idea.

4. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

The top 100 free games is based on downloads, not revenue. I don't know why people care about that. I'd much rather make a great $5 mobile game and get a few thousand downloads than a simple free game with millions of downloads that depends on ad revenue to monetize. One is a direct sale, while the other just means people clicked a download button. Voodoo isn't the only publisher out there. Just because they "top the chart" doesn't mean they're worthwhile. There's plenty of games making way more than what Voodoo can offer that aren't chart topping.