Maximum level length and game length

Discussion in 'Level Design' started by Christoph, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Somebody knows the answer to this two questions?
    1. Is there a maximum level/scene length?
    2. Is there a maximum game length?

Jamie likes this.
  2. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

I think @Andy said that the scene length can affect the stacking of scenes. Other than that information, I would love the know these answers to these questions myself since I plan to make continual updates to my games (once I release them and over time).

3. darren

darren Avid Boxer

sometimes it's best to test scenarios... it's likely the items for an extra large(long) level will load all at once and may hiccup your game

4. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Theoretically there is no limit. It's much better technically AND practically to break things up when it makes sense. If you ever run into anything that does not make sense or something that seems like a limitation please do let us know so we can fix it if possible.

Christoph and Jamie like this.
  5. Jamie

Jamie Avid Boxer

Is what Darren said true? If we have a "long" part of the game, should we make it in small scene increments and align them?

6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

It "depends" on lots of things. Every situation is going to be different. Best is to test and find out. Its ALWAYS better to break things up into manageable chunks if possible and it makes sense to do so.

7. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

I have scenes that range from 1700 px wide up to 8800 and they all run fine with no issues. Tested on iPad 3 and iPhone 5, so far so good :)

trudnai, stevinz and Christoph like this.
  8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Ok. More scenes are better than (too) long scenes (which I suppose depend also on how many memory intensive tasks you have going on in the scene)... what about the total amount of scenes? Is there a limit?

9. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

There are games that have well over 100 maybe even close to 200 scenes. Again, theoretically there is no limit.

10. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Thanks for all your inside and participation. As a new user I very appreciate the effort. I have one other small question regarding the scenes: when they are stacked must they be all the same length? Or what happens when you have 20 scenes with 1000px width and an additional one is 2000px long? Does the game "end" once this particular scene plays? Or does it go to the beginning of all 21 scenes that are stacked "together"?

11. Phill Mason

Yes @Christoph, regardless of length, stacked scenes will play to the end of a scene and then start at the beginning of another.

Aligned = Plays scenes of any length, in the order they're aligned. Start, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc....
    Stacked = Plays scenes randomly, regardless of length. Start, 4, 19, 11, 6, 10 etc...

Christoph likes this.
  12. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Thanks Phill. That means the important point of stacked scenes is the start and not the end (as you say: regardless of length). Did I understand correctly?

13. Phill Mason

You're getting it @Christoph, but the end is equally important. I've made stacked game like this in the past and I made the mistake of making the end of a long scene really difficult and I'd forgotten to make sure certain platform lined up with the start of all the other scenes. You see, because the scenes are random, you have to think of every possible outcome, ie, scene 6 might not work if going into scene 36 and so on.
    Test, test and test some more, you'll soon get the hang of what works and what doesn't from one scene to another.

Christoph likes this.
  14. arnoldsmail

arnoldsmail Boxer

Its totally depends on you how long you want to build.

15. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Hey @Phill Mason I have just hit this issue, thanks for sharing this with us!

Phill Mason likes this.