Master Collection 2 - What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Christoph, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

Not necessarily time, the experience gained is really what matters

2. DaddyMagic

DaddyMagic Boxer

Guys...so I just played with the 20+ or so demo games limping along with build box on my laptop which I do not want to work on and every single demo sample game is just a basic twist on a moving platformer. Not one sample game had the slightest bit of interactivity with objects in the game at all. I had no idea this was the case and I see no way of getting around this severe limitation. If you want to make a variation on a platformer game it may work out just perfect for you, however anything requiring the player to interact with objects within the game is simply not possible as I see it. Not one example game had the ability to touch, move or use any kind of swipe or touch force gestures at all. I can't even make a balloon pop or flick a crate across the screen with a swipe or touch a bomb and make it explode...seriously? In addition while demo'ing the example projects build box apparently lost connection to the license server and closed twice within 20 minutes. I cannot be in the middle of making a game and have it close on me, no way am I going to accept that. I'm throwing the towel in guys and have removed, deleted and uninstalled the software, I never got it running on my desktop anyways. This is my official refund request to build box and certainly was not the end I intended but if the software is not going to have the functionality I need then I'm simply not going to pay for it whether it's $30 or $3000. I'm really disappointed it's not going to work for me but I had no idea going into this the limitations on functionality. Guys I wish you the best of luck take care.

upload_2017-12-10_14-16-24.png

Attached Files:

wesam_badr likes this.
  3. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

You briefly mentioned this in the last couple sentences, but I'm going to say it again.

If the price for BuildBox is lowered, more indie developers would be able to afford it -- and "indie" is BuildBox's whole target demographic. A lower cost with more than double the amount of installs, and will certainly increase BuildBox's earnings. Highly priced software with fewer purchases still brings in revenue to fund development, but you could be making so much more if the prices were lower.
    Also, while Trey is reading this, will we ever have the option to buy select programs from the master collection bundle? I only want BB 2.3 and SoundBox 2, so I'm not going to be spending nearly $3000 on programs I won't be using. It's either $500 (estimated price for 2 of the bundled programs) or $0.

4. Buildbox

Buildbox Administrator

@DaddyMagic Sorry you couldn't easily create the game you wanted, and no problem, support will refund your purchase tomorrow. Also, in case you come back in the future, our license prompt does give you the option to save your work before closing if it can't connect. We understand that customers want a better solution for this, and we hope to bring an option to extend this prompt for emergency situations at a later date.

5. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

@TreySmith thanks for responding and listening to us it is greatly appreciated especially since it is the weekend and not only that but you are probably busy with all the MC2 stuff.

Wish there was a more affordable plan for MC2 so I could help fund the cause some more ;)

6. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

This is actually a common misconception. It's called a "race to the bottom" and one of the biggest reasons new startups fail. We've seen many people, including some competitors, get caught in this trap and close up shop.

You don't automatically bring in the masses by lowering prices. Once you hit critical mass, it's definitely an option, but we're not there yet. This was why Unity was initially $4500 for their complete software, Adobe debuted Photoshop at almost $2,000, etc.

Hardly anyone comes out the gate at a cheap price and survives. The few exceptions usually had an insanely wide market and a strong viral component, like Dropbox, or massive amounts of funding to burn through while acquiring users. Even then it can backfire.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    NemoPiXL and thatguyminib like this.
  7. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

No problem ;)

NemoPiXL and thatguyminib like this.
  8. Wapps1

Wapps1 Avid Boxer

I know I'm making myself unpopular now, but thats my thoughts.
    I think the sofware should not be cheaper or have a free version!

Not because i like that many people use the software, but if the hurdle is too small- everybody who does not mean it seriously will make a game just to give it a try if he gets rich without effort.

And then I have something to consider, that Buildbox ends like other great companies (for Example AppMachine, GoodBarber.. etc.)
    These companies got excluded from the AppStore because every body can make a app in just a few minutes without ever think about what he creates with the software.

Apple had its nose full of half-finished apps by laymen! And today nobody can make a great new App with a AppGenerator because of spamming the AppStore with template Apps. (Apple Guidline 4.3.6)

And if it costs money, it is valued and taken seriously

thatguyminib likes this.
  9. DaddyMagic

DaddyMagic Boxer

Thank You Build Box. Also to the community I want to make sure other forum members are not discouraged by this. For my particular needs it's simply not going to work because the functionality for my game type doesn't exist "yet" in build box but I didn't know this until I used the software, wish there had been a demo, hint hint. I can see that if the game style you guys want to make is a platformer style based game then this looks like a top notch solution, if not the best solution, to getting that done easily so keep gaming keep building and I assure you if build box has the added functionality in the future I will be back. The functionality I need I think can be easily added to build box to be honest so I wouldn't be surprised to see it eventually added and wouldn't mind helping in that :). Helping to make non-coders make great games and better games then coders can be done I do see it happening.

10. thatguyminib

Very well put, I just wish there was a more affordable payment plan with MC2. I could do $250 a month for a year but I can't do one outright payment or $999 for three months. That is just too big a hit to my wallet with the bills I have lol.

11. rakeshdev

rakeshdev Boxer

I know hobby is gud thing. But what about money. We can't satisfy ourselves only with work. We also need money for our daily life. So plz buildbox lower your price @TreySmith
    What i do now. Anyhow i want this buildbox. Even my family can't afford it. Plz lower you price . I can pay 50000 indian rupees plz help buildbox.

12. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

BuildBox makes it super easy to make games, but it will never become an App generator.
    You have to spend time and actually construct games in BuildBox, so don’t worry :D

thatguyminib likes this.
  13. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

Except BuildBox isn't a startup anymore. You have a large following in just a couple years, not anywhere as large as Microsoft, but a lot of smaller companies have done very well with sales, and they have extremely low prices. Of course, that doesn't guarantee BuildBox will do any better, but good business calls for some risk. You don't necessarily need to lower the price, but I think everyone would appreciate various new payment plans. For example, Master Collection could be $250 a month for 1 year (Not on sale) instead of $3,000 up front. If you allow the customer to select which products they want and would actually use, there would be even more sales. Also, I understand the "rush" tactic of having MC2 available for only 1 week, but new Boxers will feel cheated if they have to wait multiple months before they can buy again -- and even then, they'll have to pay MUCH more (You still haven't specified the "highly increased fee")

14. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

I think Trey and his team know how to run a business. They’ve gotten this far :)

This thread is now going around in circles and is completely off topic.

15. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

I think with 2.3 we are seeing that becoming a reality. This is a cracking version you guys have delivered and a big shout out to Nik and all the team for the hard work in fixing bugs and improving the product. The multi-select thing is a god send. I realise still a few bugs out there but id hope you guys can push out some fast updates to fix these.

And with v3 in 2018 it’s going to be the year Buildbox comes of age. The demos look spectacular and looking forward to the betas once the MC guys have kindly fixed it for the rest of us :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    thatguyminib likes this.
  16. thatguyminib

Hopefully, some of the MC guys have some experience with javascript and mess around on that end, so when it comes to beta for us it won't be completely broken or overlooked ;). I for one will be hitting that feature and trying to get the fullest out of it when I get my hands on it :D

NemoPiXL likes this.
  17. NemoPiXL

NemoPiXL Boxer

Hi Trey , What could be good for your business is to do 2 versions , one pro version (BB 2.3) and a start version with less functions (so cheaper) and restrictions like amount of scenes or whatever and make it cheaper , I am sure doing that wouldn't be that much work and it will allow people to have a hand on your products ...

If you do it so I hope you will give me some royalties haha ;) .

18. thatguyminib

Thing is that it probably would be more work than you think lol.

19. rakeshdev

rakeshdev Boxer

Hey plz ,
    Do me a favor. Plz tell me how to download trial version of buildbox. Plz tell me bro. Plz.
    Is this available or not.

20. thatguyminib

At the moment there is no trial version.

Also who has checked out the video for AnimationBox?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.