Master Collection 2 - What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Christoph, Dec 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

I completely agree, I just wish they were more open about decisions happening behind the scenes. No doubt, they're better at this than (for example) YouTube, but there's always room for improvement.

thatguyminib likes this.
  2. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

I do want to say real quick that I think the next 3-4 years will be Buildbox's grand test to see if it will be a lasting and capable software. Even though the software has been around for a few years I feel like we were only witnessing it's infancy. I had the great oppurtunity to work along side the team before and I can personally say they are constantly on their grind to shape this software to have a large prescense in a market mostly dominated by Unity. Not saying Buildbox is not without its flaws, however I can understand some of the decisions made in terms of pricing and other business moves. The community is split between dedicated developers who made this their full time job and will put in the necessary money knowing they can recoup, and hobbyist who are balancing other responsibilties and trying to build a career in game developing. I think it will be Buildbox's responsibility in the future to figure out their target demographic and make decisions to either try to satisfy both or isolate the other.

I do want to thank the team and Trey for making this amazing software though. I can confidentely say that Buildbox has saved my life and made me pursue and capitalize on a passion I never thought I had until stepping into the software!

But what do I know I'm just a 20 year old kid from Atlanta with a dumb screen name.. :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    AaroArts and thatguyminib like this.
  3. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

Hey Unity and the other engines aren't perfect either. They all have their flaws. I actually decided to pick up BB mainly because I wanted to work on small mobile games in between the times I program in Unity XD. I also found it really helps stretch the game design skills with the "constraints in the software".

4. brakewind723

Dude exactly. All these limitations actually made me a better developer I believe and helped me mature and realize how to make quality games faster. :D @thatguyminib

5. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

This message gave me an idea. How about having 2 versions of BuildBox: Hobbyist, and Pro?

The price could be significantly lower on the hobby version, because it won't come with as many features (Possibly unable to export any games? No functions to add ads? Or maybe it's just an in-browser demo? If this is the case, I think it should be free). Then, once you decide you're ready to release your game for a profit, you can upgrade to pro. The files will be converted over, and you can export your games to the marketplace. How about adding a user marketplace where, in the welcome screen / creator window, you can select from a list of user-created games made with BuildBox -- and view everything inside the .bbdoc? It would be just like opening a file from your desktop, except the game preview is automatically opened and the game is ready to be played.

EDIT: And having the ability to view finalized projects in BuildBox would give in-experienced developers some incite on the process of game design. These user-made projects would also serve as great inspiration pieces, but there would have to be some rules/limitations to protect against copying projects and stealing artwork.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    brakewind723 likes this.
  6. brakewind723

Wow this is actually a great idea. I think they are doing something like this (mentioned in a live stream), but this a great concept for sure @Skrubzy

Skrubzy likes this.
  7. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

Where's my job @Buildbox :p

8. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Best. Screen name. Ever. :p

brakewind723 likes this.
  9. thatguyminib

@brakewind723 Yeah same here and if anyone wants to start learning to program, especially when BB3 comes out, you will already have good problem-solving skills, which is a must when programming. XD

What they could do as well for a free version is that they just take a part of the revenue if you start making so much money with it. That is what Unity and Unreal do right now.

brakewind723 likes this.
  10. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

I think advertising should be completely removed on the free version (If it's released). BuildBox wouldn't want someone using their software and making money if they don't get paid a fair bit in return. Considering that hobby projects don't generally do too well on the app store, there wouldn't be too much risk if they left in the advertising functionality -- unless a hobby project takes off and makes millions from ads (VERY unlikely).

If a hobby developer is extremely dedicated to have advertising in their game, they can export the project and add HeyZap ads using the source code. However, most hobby developers wouldn't even know where to start when doing this.

brakewind723 likes this.
  11. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

Agreed.

brakewind723 likes this.
  12. VectologyGames

VectologyGames Serious Boxer

Bottom line is this. If you don't have 5K-10k to invest, just stay away and work a 9-5. Buildbox is not hobby software.

13. thatguyminib

5-10k 0.0 where does this price come from? lol

14. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

There could be a new release that IS for hobby game creation -- or just to test the software before spending thousands of dollars. Then, once you're absolutely positive that you want to pursue a career in game development, you can buy the full/pro version of BuildBox using the money earned from your traditional job (Or a hobby game that does really well). You can work from 9-5, then come home and practice making games without taking a huge risk immediately (The risk being if you're good at / actually enjoy game development)

thatguyminib likes this.
  15. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

If there is no way to test BuildBox to see if you 100% love developing games, you would just be wasting months and months of your savings. If you have used other cheaper/free software to practice development (GameMaker, for example) it can be very hard to switch programs, regardless of the professional features BuildBox has to offer -- which could also result in large amounts of money wasted.

16. DaddyMagic

DaddyMagic Boxer

I don't have a problem with the cost of the software. I do have a problem if it wont work and run on my computer, I do have a problem if it persistently needs connection to the internet to work. I do need it to perform the gestures and touch screen actions I need for my games. I took a good leap faith in purchasing the software not knowing these problems because I was unable to demo a trial. It does'n matter if software is $30 or $3000 if it's not going to work for me I'm not paying for it. If I can just figure out how to pop a balloon with a finger touch, put apples into a basket and joystick control the character only and not the entire screen. I can't interact with other objects if every time I touch the screen the actor wants to move, not gonna work for me.

17. thatguyminib

Just learning any new programs takes a bit of time initially.

Skrubzy likes this.
  18. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

Which is exactly why BuildBox should have some sort of trial/demo/free version

thatguyminib likes this.
  19. thatguyminib

I agree. We may see that with BB3 release.

20. MattWills

MattWills Avid Boxer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.