Marketing 101

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by calmackay79, Jan 25, 2016.

1. hunttrader

hunttrader Boxer

keep going your posts really useful

2. iappreneur

iappreneur Boxer

@calmackay79 this information is gold,thanks alot im bookmarking it in my computer,so i can keep all this great information in mind while my next launch:) Thanks again its surely gonna help us a lot.

3. ASOtop1

ASOtop1 Boxer

Extremely amazingļ¼ You are my idol now. I am also working as marketing manager to promote our service to app publishers. And I also post blogs on our site to share optimization tips. But comparing with your post, you indeed get much more experience than me.

Thanks for your sharing!

4. calmackay79

calmackay79 Boxer

Hi guys, well as always i've been super busy, and after being involved with 'The Witching Hour' & the super niceguy @telerebor coupled with a busy work schedule I'm finally finding time to start work on a massive platformer game I've been planning for awhile - codenamed 'necromancer'
    As I troll the forums for tips & help and others such as @Collin Wade Thiessen @heathclose and @Andy amongst others pass on some of their wisdom, I always try to give alittle back, so heres another marketing article to help you all along.

App Videos

One of the newer functions added by App stores is the ability to add a promotional video to help entice users to your app.
    This is broken down into two main areas =
    1) Promotional Trailer for websites/reviewers
    2) Promotional Trailer for App Store

The main difference between these two is what is included and running time, I'll start with number one.
    1) Promotional Trailer for your website/fans/reviewers
    Before you could even post videos to the app store, this was something that should of been done to help promote your apps through your website.
    It allows people a brief glimpse of your app without downloading it, & entices/draws in people to play it or in the case of review sites, report on it. The best part about this video is that it can be run for any length, and can include anything you want. But be warned - as I've explained earlier, make sure content is relevant to your app (no horror movie trailers for a kids game etc) and running time doesn't bore ppl to death.
    Heres an example of one I think was done extremely well from the makers of tiny wings =

Such a simple, yet super enticing video that gets one questioning what this game is, and encourages you to try it out. An example of how to do it right.
    What they have done here is brought in a human feel to their video that works great with their actually game (the super hit ting wings) It goes for the perfect amount of time (1:07) and is doesn't lose its audience at any time, and finishes with a quick release date/plug for their game.

Length plays a huge part on consumer interest - the best way to sum it up is with the following graph =

upload_2016-8-18_8-42-50.png

Plan your time accordingly - once your hitting 60% retention, your probably running it too long (4-5min max, 1-2min ideal)

If your struggling to come up with a concept, you can try fiverr or upwork and plan a more professional video by sharing some game footage/art, and see what ideas contractors come up with (hiring offshore contractors - article for another time) Otherwise you can just build your own imovie or something similar - nice and easy!

Don't forget to pin this video to the top of your twitter/facebook/social media feeds - show it off to your consumer base, even share it amongst forums sites to help build momentum towards your launch date, and having said that - try and launch a video halfway through your build. It will help spike interest, and can even help in your creation as comments left will help determine if your heading in a good direction, or need to address something before you get too committed.
    Your video should also be updated through your build as you add new features, correct old flaws, and move forward with your game towards launch.

2) Promotional Trailer for your App instore.
    A must have these days to stand above the rest, but with far more limiting factors.
    First of all, you only get 30 seconds to show off your app (I write these articles based around the IOS store) so trying to cram everything in can be tricky.
    a) First up you want to include gameplay, gameplay, gameplay. And don't be shy here - put in your best sequences/effects/game moments, you only get 30 seconds, don't waste them!
    b) Usually start off with your company logo at the video start - abet only briefly
    c) At the end, remind people of the name of the game - show off your games title again to remind players, and drive it home
    d) Engaging music & sound effects are also imperative to enticing the players into downloading your game, make sure they sound sharp, and professional. background noise is a definite turn off.

As with your web based trailer - don't be shy about approaching contractors for a professional version for a trailer - its the 2nd biggest thing players will check right after your Icon/title. Or, if your proficient - once again imovie actually has a template for building app videos now!
    - Happy video making!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    deenasty, trudnai, Nihat and 5 others like this.
  5. heathclose

heathclose Miniboss Boxer

6. ottolb

ottolb Boxer

Great articles @calmackay79!
    Thank you for this information.

7. alexsafayan

alexsafayan Boxer

Waiting on #8 - Contacting Apple :)

8. yepez7

yepez7 Boxer

Awesome