Market Trends

Discussion in 'Game Marketing' started by brdchn25, Nov 28, 2015.

1. brdchn25

brdchn25 Boxer

I was found this doing my normal surfing of the net. I found the market data interesting. We should never underestimate google.

Looking at Market share of phones:
    http://bgr.com/2015/09/03/apple-vs-android-market-share-july-2015/

I bring this all up as I just started this process in my spare time. I deal with business and sales for my real job.

With those sales numbers and market share. It only makes sense to put your app into both stores. IMO

Looking for feedback and others thoughts.

FYI I never thought I would get an app into a store when I started down this road two months ago. I didn't start with BB, but I can tell you I would have quite a long time ago if it wasn't for BB. Two apps in google play and one in Apple waiting for review. Feeling good about BB.

Attached Files:

tomwhite3d and Jamie like this.
  2. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

Google users are a totally different beast... and so is the market place. Just bearing in mind that whatever works for Apple may or may not work in Google especially when it comes to ASO. Doing research for the Google store also varies compared to Apple... Many fail to realize this... Anyway we do agree that for any apps... it has to be both in Google and Apple store so as you can maximise on the income :)

brdchn25 and Jamie like this.
  3. TheViseOne

TheViseOne Boxer

Publishing IOS app on play store is not that hard. The biggest issue with fast paced BB games that I have is performance issues. In games where reaction time is crucial most android devices has lags.

If you have both devices you can check it for yourself
    IOS game
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/happy-geometry-race/id1052661797?mt=8

Android game
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lite.dash.geometry

In IOS everything works smoothly, but on Android(I have tested on Samsung Galaxy S3) it game just lags. This ruin game experience and make game itself extremely hard to play.

Other option is to just ban devices, but Anroid has 10k devices how can you know which ones to ban?

4. brdchn25

brdchn25 Boxer

Funny you would say that. I thought it was just me. I pulled out an Android tablet and phone that I had in the basement for testing this weekend. I found the tablet just sucked. The phone was ok, but did not compare to my iphone5 or ipad2 when it came to game performance.

This needs to be keep in mind for us newer developers.

5. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

There are quite a few performance tests that proves in real life iOS devices are performing equal well or sometimes even better than over specked Androids. Like comparing iPhone's dual-core to an octa-core Android with 3x RAM and still, if beats iOS here and there the difference is very slim.

I am not sure though if this is only because of those tests are comparing a Java/Dalvik code vs native iOS one or something else. As far as I concern BuildBox is written in C++ (using Cocos2d-x as an engine under the hood) and therefore I would not expect too much of difference, but again, I have not tried it yet on the green robot.

Anybody has some insights or experiments with this?

6. dmmcmah

dmmcmah Avid Boxer

Not necessarily, and I'm not sure how the article supports your premise that google shouldn't be underestimated. It shows the iPhone gaining market share at the expense of Samsung. I will say that BB makes putting your app on Google Play and Amazon easy, so why not. However the customers on both markets are very different. If you are trying to generate actual revenue on Google Play its going to be much harder. Sure many games kill it with ad revenue on Google Play, but for the average indie developer I doubt they see much actual cash coming in. I have found a general rule is that people who buy Apple products are more willing to spend actual money, whereas people with android phones expect freebies. I've made six figure profits several years from the Apple store but never made anything from Google Play. Its true Google is a very dynamic company and anything can happen in the fast based tech business so who knows where we will be in 2 years, but for running a business it seems prudent to focus on Apple first. But like I said with BB its easy since your development is platform independent and adding Android versions basically means just administrative tasks. So why not do it and see what happens.

7. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

One thing to consider regarding performance is that historically Android OS has a lot more overhead than iOS.