Make Particle Effects Come Out Of A Character Based On Which Way They Moved

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Larsin2459, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Larsin2459

Larsin2459 Boxer

I have a character who is in a "default portrait" mode game type. When the player moves them left, I want a stream type thing to emit from the character, sort of like like an afterburner. So if the player moves up, the stream should show from behind, moving left shows it coming out from the right, etc.

Can this be done using buildbox?

2. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Yes. You just need to adjust the settings direction of the particles to suit the direction. Place one in the Left movement animation box then copy/paste it into the right animation box and adjust it. 'Up' I am guessing would be jump, or the natural direction of travel.

3. Larsin2459

Larsin2459 Boxer

I can't seem to find the Left and Right animation boxes. I only see Shooting, Bullet, Jump, Move and Defeated animations.

4. ZikZak

ZikZak Boxer

When you add a default particle effect to the 'Move Animation', the effect's direction would change automatically depending on which direction the character is moving.

5. Larsin2459

Larsin2459 Boxer

The particles just drop out of the character like that, I want them to specifically show up from the left, right, top, bottom when I move. I don't want the particle effects to ever "move away" from the character. Think of a rocket ship taking off, the flames are attached the rocket the entire time. I want something along those lines. So if the player moves up, the flames would be from the back, moving left would show flames from the right. etc. Is that possible to do?

6. cpullma1

cpullma1 Boxer

Hi there, I am new to BB but I may have an idea that will help you with this. What I assume you have is one or more buttons to control the movement of your character, and each button in the World UI will have its function set to Component Action. On your character, I assume you already have advanced move components that control the movement depending on the button pressed, and it is in here that the magic will happen. For each advanced move you will need to go into its animation and place your effect in there, and align it to go in whatever direction you want, and you will want to set the Emitters position type to get the correct look for the effect.

In my current game I have buttons for moving left and right, and each is linked to the correct advanced move component I have on the character. In the left movement component I have a certain effect going one way, and the same effect going the other way when the right movement button is pressed.

OR.....

Select your character and go into the default animation and add in your effect there and position it to look correct, and make sure you set the particle effect emitter to the correct position type at the bottom(Relative, Free, Grouped). This way no matter how you turn the effect will follow the character correctly.

7. ronnie gaikwad

ronnie gaikwad Boxer

select the "free" option from position type