Love The New Send And Receive Nodes

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by PunkPuffin, Mar 25, 2019.

1. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

Hi all,

If you haven't seen them yet do try out the Send and Receive Nodes.

I just gave them a spin with an idea they worked a treat. So simple to use.

Thanks BB team

@NikRudenko @TreySmith

2. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

They are quite vague on how they are supposed to be used. May you elaborate?

3. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

@thatguyminib

Sure. They seem pretty simple really. In the "Send" node you add an "Event Name" for the event that will be sent. In the "Receive" node you enter the "Event Name" you are listening for. Simple as that really.

In my case I had a Character and then placed another object as a child of the Character. In the Child node map I added an "If Collide" and hooked that to a "Send" node with an "Event Name" called "ChildDefeated". In the Characters Node Map I added in a "Receive" node with the "Event Name" of "ChildDefeated" and hooked it up to a Defeat node. So now when the Child hits an enemy the parent Character Dies.

They could be pretty powerful

4. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

Oh cool. That is pretty awesome. Thank you for explaining it.

5. Jesse O'Brien

Jesse O'Brien Boxer

Hi guys, I use the Send and Receive nodes quite a lot but have noticed crashes often when coming in contact with these objects. Does anyone know if a Send/Receive mechanic is more heavy on the CPU than, say, a If Collide node? An example is that my player hits a trigger to open a door on the opposite wall.

6. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

Hey boxers,

i honestly don't think the crash is caused by the Send/Receive mechanic since those nodes subscribe on start and remove the even on remove. My guess is that you are trying to use some custom code or some 3d objects that are not optimized and the crash is caused by obj or fbx objects.

to be sure try to find a good way to reproduce the bug and send an email with the bbdoc and details steps to reproduce to support@buildbox.com and they will fix it as soon as possible.

Thanks,
    Vlad