Localization - How Do You Do It?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by GTE Games, Aug 29, 2016.

1. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

I'm looking to go back and localize my first two games as well as a new game that is nearing completion. I'm starting to see some seriously long hours ahead of me, so I look for some advice here...

I did search, and best I could tell, the current approach is to:

1. Create game
    2. Save in native language (English for me)
    3. "Save As" and prefix with every language I want to support (en-game.bbdoc / es-game.bbdoc/...)
    4. Create the graphics in every language I want to support
    5. Edit the text fonts in every game and import the language graphics I created
    6. Save and export.
    7. Create APK for each localized game.

That's all fine, but if I add 30 new levels and 10 new characters in an update. I can't just copy paste the levels into the localized versions. I have to completely repeat steps 1-7 for every single language.

If anyone has some pro tips for how to make this process easier, please share.

If not, which languages are an absolute must? I'm thinking English, Spanish, Chinese, French, and Russian.

----Break----

Not sure I understand some other threads I was reading. Would I need to add a whole new App through iTunes for each language, or just add them in the "prepare for submission" section (see attached) and then upload the different versions through xcode? This part I'm fuzzy on. Thanks for any tips!

Attached Files:

2. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Hello, the only way I know is that you indicate, create a game by language.
    I do is create the game in English, but the description in all possible languages.

You can also do 2 things:
    1- Create generic buttons,
    Exit [X]
    Pause [II]
    Play (>)

2 - Create a start menu where the user chooses the language, and go to the menu in the corresponding languages. (Very complicated if the game has many levels)

GTE Games likes this.
  3. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

@jcalle

Thanks for your input.

I have tried to use icons as much as possible. But there is still be a LOT of work to do. I don't mind doing a lot of work. But pointlessly... that's just frustrating.

I would hope that a near future release of BB would include serious support for localizing. Everyone agrees you have to localize in as many languages as possible to have a good chance at getting featured. It makes the game far more polished if all your text is in the users native language. My two cents.

roy and Jamie like this.