Loading Time Issue...

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CHAF, Feb 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

Hi All,

I'm almost done with my game but I have an issue which seems crucial to me... The loading time is way too long. On my iphone 5 it take 90 secondes to start the game.
    - I have 8 Atlasses
    - 40 Worlds containing between 5 to 8 scenes
    - 1 World (Endless Mode) Containing 110 scenes.
    - My Buildbox file is 30 megs which is not bad in my opinion compared to previous games I did in other engines
    - I've removed all unused images,scenes, unused components...

Once loaded the game plays well though.
    Seems like the engine loads everything at launch.
    Having an option to load Worlds when selected could be interesting !?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  2. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Try to reduce the number of Atlasses, try to remove the music.

3. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

From what I can tell it's not as much the amount of original assets to loads(Atlasses/music) but more about the generation of the Worlds/scenes. I've work on a number of smaller games before (with other engines) without this issue. I feel like it's a consequence of trying to generate every levels at booth time.

If that's the case would there be any way to load a World when it's called?

4. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

Are you using the pre release version of 2.2.9?

5. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

No 2.2.8

From what I've seen on the forum it's a common issue. Would like to know if there is a work around or something that could be done before stripping the game from a good part of it's content.
    Thing is the game run smoothly once loaded. Just make no sense for users to wait up to 90 secondes to play am ios game nowadays.
    Take 20 secondes to load on my iPad Pro though :p

Buildbox techs?

6. andre_sprs

andre_sprs Serious Boxer

The game will work fine on new devices but you will need to reduce your atlas's if you want it to load faster on older devices.

7. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

I'll give it a try and come back for more results... It's a bit sad though... Did an ios game in 3d with UDK over 3 years ago with way more images and scaleform/flash assets for UI. Never had loading time issue. With the same iphone 5.
    Again, I'm not talking about performance here, only loading time.

8. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

I would optimize everything. Also make sure you are using less pieces for the ground. I seen guy had same issue and when i checked his levels, He was using a single 256x480 ground piece, shrunk down and copied like 20 times to make the ground. Versus a single ground piece that fits screen to make the ground. Or at least a few. So i removed them all and placed single ground piece and game loaded 90% faster. The issue may be that you have a TON of pieces loading.

9. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

That's what I'm expecting... Too many content (copy/instances) to load. Again once loaded it goes well... So There should be a way to load Worlds when they're called and not load everything at booth time cause it's very limitative. As an artist I would like to be able to deliver a game with a descent visual quality and alot of Worlds/levels reusing assets.
    From what I could tell 8 Atlasses of 2048*2048 is descent for mobile game. It was not so long ago... On my point of view it's more a question of technical ressources management.

I'll do what need to be done on my side but since paying a BB license is quite expensive I wanna be sure I have all the valid information and nothing else can be done before doing so.

What troubles me so far is that it seems the more I'll add Worlds/Scenes (No more art) the longer my game loading time will be.

Regards

10. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Buildbox 2.3 and even more so Buildbox 3 will provide much better performance (including load times) with lots of objects. We're addressing data management and performance for sure. This has been a big part of our focus for the past 9 months along with optimizing copy/paste, undo/redo and eventual implementation of multiple select. It's all coming and it's not so far away. Much of the work has already been done, we're working through final details, merging code and clean up.

trudnai, khalid, ramiucef and 2 others like this.
  11. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

Niiiiiiice.... Gonna put my game on hold and start I new one for now :)
    Will BB2 Games files be compatible with BB3?

AppNasty likes this.
  12. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Probably, but 3 isnt due out till like...next year. So we are safe lol @Andy I remember requesting, and you said you guys where looking into it, but it was about the ability to add more to text. Instead of forcing us to use a single line of words, we can hit enter and stack them. Make a paragraph etc instead of writing out a line...make new line....repeat. ????

13. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Sometime after 2.3 is released. While I think this makes sense, it is lower in priority overall. I do have a task for this.

Yes, that is the plan!

14. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Of course it isnt priority. But at least its on the list lol. And we need that SCROLL up/down menus option too. lololol

15. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

Is there a key shortcut for jumping between scenes? Like:
    < previous scene
    > next scene
    I don't know what others think but for me it would be veeeeery usefull

16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Arrow keys? At least on Mac this works.

Ah, I guess that only works immediately after a scene is directly selected in the scene toolbar.

17. khalid

khalid Avid Boxer

Thank you,
    @Andy
    If security will be forced in the coming versions please allow the boxers to enable/disable it from the options

Not all boxers want security and not all games require security

Regards,

18. Astro Games

Astro Games Avid Boxer

@Andy yes, arrow keys work on PC too but I was thinking about shortcuts from any point of editing process. If you play around with objects between your scenes it can really speed-up the process jumping in-between with keyboard.

19. CHAF

CHAF Boxer

@Andy do you have an estimation for the release date of version 2.3?

Also on another subject Natalie sent me links to videos from Trey and in one of those he's talking about Buildbox offering Publishing opportunities. Seems like this is old stuff though. Was sad to hear that and I was wandering why you guys stopped publishing for the good games made with Buildbox? Cause as far as I'm concerned I would prefer going all the way with you guys!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  20. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer