Level Designing Is Hard Or I Just Suck At It

Discussion in 'Level Design' started by faisalqublan, Jul 1, 2016.

1. faisalqublan

faisalqublan Boxer

hello guys , i hope you have a great day , i love buildbox so much and i think its the future of game designing, recently i tried to make a game and everything was going in the right direction, but i straggled so bad in level designing, it took me around 2 mouths just to make a "How to Play" level , i don't know about this problem, is it because i suck at level designing or its hard to make a level in my game , i tried to draw sketches on a papers but it didn't work , also i tried brainstorming and the result is just the "How to Play" level lol ,please guys any help ,suggestion well be appreciate it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

Level design in general is very difficult. You never know if something is too easy or too hard. An easy level to you may be impossible to others. I suggest always having a friend or even a family member testing your games (don't make the same person test multiple times, they will eventually learn your game). Also members in the community will gladly offer their time to test a beta build, and give you nice constructive criticism.

Update: Also study what other games do. It's not a bad idea to base your tutorial level off of what another game did :)

Christoph likes this.
  3. faisalqublan

faisalqublan Boxer

EXACTLY !!! i swear i played so much games and i tried to study and focus at others levels and tried to take some of the ideas of their levels and combine it with each others, but the result doesn't meet my game's levels ( i hope you know what i meant ) <-- eng is not my first language sorry :( , its help a little bit i can't say it didn't.
    in my opinion , i think my game is complex one , because i don't want to make the players feels a repetition in levels, and the second thing is i want it to be more realistic not fantasy,
    as you said maybe its hard for me but easy for others , so i could be wrong , maybe its easy to make the levels, who knows

my question is , is there a website or something can help me with creating levels ?
    the second question , where i can offer to someone i can trust to work with me at the game ? (just because if suck again lol )

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  4. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

Find someone with a good track record on this website. Someone might not know buildbox as well as members on here do.

5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Start relationships here or elsewhere and with time other things will follow automatically. ;)

6. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

I think Level design focuses mainly in trial & error process..
    You do ,you test >> You pass level, You create more
    or
    You do, you test >> You can't pass level << Fix issue >> Test Again >> You pass, You create more ..

On my behalf at least, and I have very little experience with BB,
    (not more than a few world's & scenes, and yesterday I started creating my first Coin Shop)
    I've found that while I took 20 minutes to build first scene, 15 minutes were just starting simulations so I could fix all the little details on the scene (Like object position, the gap between level's, enemy's position, character jump force, ect)
    That's just my humble opinion..
    Anyhow ,good luck on the game creation :)