Lets Talk Downloads

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by everchangeapps, Jan 20, 2018.

1. everchangeapps

everchangeapps Boxer

Just launched a game last night. That has done okay, for no marketing behind it. (I typically don't spend money on marketing really, few facebook ads etc) Its gotten from what i can see on chartboost (really skewed installs) about 200 or so downloads.

From what you have seen in games that have been decently succesfull, how many downloads did you need first day? I launched an app a few years ago that took off, 10k downloads a day and i knew that was great. But is 200, 500, 1000 a decent start for an app that shows promise? Obviously not to make a ton, but for a solid app in the portfolio?

Id be more than happy to share any insight or data i have from the past 3 years (me and co founder split company 3 years ago so all the data i have is from then)

Lets talk about that side of this biz.

2. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

I did something a little diff with BB and made an app called How To Draw Cars....where i showcased steps on how to draw cars [lol] and it hit 2,500 downloads first 3 days. I ended up removing the app for bug issue but within 4 months i had over 50,000 downloads. No advertising....no posting to FB etc. Thats when i realized WHY it hit. It was ranked 2nd in that category. It was all about the title. How to draw xxxxx is a popular search term in google play and apple. People organically discovered it because they where searching for how to draw. Soooo, my goal is to make How To Draw Bikes, trees, boats, people etc. But BEAT everyone else who has these types of apps out. Better icon than them. Better quality. No annoying ads. Just beat them in all categories. But, it takes time to draw up all these things. And i am lazy.For cars i ended up having another artist lend me her works. But i plan to do them all myself this time. To outshine everyone elses apps.

3. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Don't know about Google but if you put another App out in the same theme Apple will probably reject it. They would want to see a series of How To Draw XXXX all contained within the same App and not individual apps.

2.20 - Developers "spamming" the App Store with many versions of similar Apps will be removed from the iOS Developer Program.

AppNasty likes this.
  4. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Perhaps. I have thought of doing one MEGA draw app. The problem is thats a LOT of resources and the file size would be huge. Even after optimizing. Google allows it. The only way i could think to get around apple rejecting it is if the app is loaded with functions related to the topic. Car related functions...maybe a build in car game. etc. If its bikes than maybe a bike game built in. That would be the best route...make a Bike game with a bonus how to draw section or vice versa lol. Loophole!