Leaderboards - how do they work with multiple worlds?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Christoph, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

As the title suggests:
    How do leaderboards work with multiple worlds?

I have two worlds with a distance score? Are they shown both in game center? Or has BB2 still only 1 leaderboard? And if yes, which one gets chosen? Can we select for which world the leaderboard is created?

2. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

It's still just a single leaderboard for now. I believe it reports the total for either Distance or Points. There are no options to select anything else. The leaderboards are planned for an overhaul soonish. But I don't have a target date or anything like that.

Christoph and Jamie like this.
  4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

So, let's say I have 250 distance points in world 1 and 150 distance points in world 2. In the leaderboard it would say: 400 points? If yes whats the logic behind it? I somehow can't figure it out and am looking for a way to make it clear to my players... design wise and logic wise to understand what's happening in the game and how users compete with each other.

World 1 is level based. World 2 is endless. So basically this are two modes. I thought of creating also different challenges and each will have its own score. But it seems it would make more sense to use a distance score only once and in the other worlds change the score multiplier to zero?

I got curious now and just looked up Hexavoid (@mikafabz). This game has endless and level based challenges and it seems correct that all scores are added to one score... :( A little confusing...

5. mikafabz

mikafabz Avid Boxer

Hey Christoph, for Hexavoid...the score is Distance. So... Leaderboard it will only get one value (best score) which is the bigger number for distance. On Hexavoid, the endless mode get bigger distances obviously, so usually the Leaderboard Highscore is always from endless mode, unless of course, the user only plays the challenges, which are shorter and the user will get a similar highscore (distance) in all challenges. But I think at the moment, leaderboard will get always the BEST result in the game from all modes, either Distance, Points or Coins!!

I agree with you! At the moment I am building a game that has 3 modes (easy, med, hard) so it will be awesome if you could integrate 3 different leaderboards for 3 different mode/levels. This is on my wishlist for BB2 for sure!

Ishamahes likes this.
  6. mikafabz

mikafabz Avid Boxer

Also Christoph, I forgot to say that in my new game, I will have 3 different game-over UI. One for each mode. So on that specific game-over screen you can add labels to show specific scores. So on the game-over you can show that your best score of easy is 169.... on the game-over screen of hard you can set the label to show your best score of that mode, eg: 67. So users will know their best score for each mode, but leaderboard will get the biggest value only. I might be wrong, but from what I tested so far, this is how works at the moment. I hope it helps.

Ishamahes likes this.
  7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Thanks for your information. So you say it is the best one? Because I have 45 points in endless mode and unlocked the first 4 challenges. When I go to GameCenter my score is over 100. This seems to be more like @Andy said, All scores together. Even though I just saw that the challenges have very small scores... something seems not right.

And yes, the game over menus can have each their score, but I'm not sure if this is what I should use. If the scores get mixed up it will make it much more chaotic for the user I think when he/she access the Gamecenter. Do users use the gamecenter anyway to compare with their friends or do they rather use the share feature to send them screenshots?