Is color switch made by BB verison 2?

Discussion in 'Gameplay' started by smmsud, Feb 10, 2016.

1. smmsud

smmsud Boxer

I played color switch. It has some features that cant be done using BB1. Is the game developed using BB2?

2. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

Be sure to read the update at the end of this post:
    https://www.buildbox.com/number-one-iphone-app-made-with-buildbox/

In short Color Switch was developed and reached #1 as a game that was built with BB1. For various reasons the developer has since updated to custom code. But Trey has announced that all the current features of Color Switch should be included in BB2 once it is officially released.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  3. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Hello, the game can be done with BB1, but the "Challenge Mode" can not be made with the current version of BB1 and BB2.

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Neither can you have different characters that each one reacts independently to an action. Or can you? In Color Switch you can change your default character and when you catch the action to change color the character stays the way it is.

5. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

i was asking the same question when i see @TreySmith blog post stat that all the features used in the new update of color switch can be done with BB 2.0 can someone confirm if it's correct that would be awesome. i am watching the development of BB updates so i can make a decision to make the purchase but now i am far away from that as its not stable and lack a lot of functionality.

6. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

With some tricks you can do that in BB 1.3.5 too but I agree it would be way more easy if that was not a trick/hack but a feature

7. enjoy

enjoy Guest

NO, in BB 1.3.5 !

8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

@trudnai: How? I can't think of one way to achieve that. Could you explain? I have tons of characters and if I could do that it would be great. If I remember correctly, the character always changes into the default action animation (or the animation is applied with an overlay), no way around that. So if one of my characters is a circle, the other one a square and the third one a smiley, how can I make an action that recognizes each character and changes its color without changing its shape and/or design?

9. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

@Christoph It is done by a magic :)

You create a mask instead of a real character, and then the action is a coloring square only. You exploit the fact that the background is all black and therefore the mask can be plain black too -- there are no advanced image manipulation features in BB like blending or shading or bump mapping or anything like that (at least not in 1.3.x)

So your Action Animation is a flat image like this:
    Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 4.47.59 PM.png
    Make sure Duration is a very big number like 99999. Then you place your character on top of an action on the Start Scene so that when you start the game it automatically picks up that action:
    Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 4.33.30 PM.png
    Select your character:
    Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 4.33.50 PM.png
    So what is happening is that your character, which is a mask, covers the action animation which is a square. After all it looks like a shape:
    Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 4.34.15 PM.png
    As you pick up other colors, shape does not change:
    Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 4.35.53 PM.png

10. wesam_badr

you are killing it @trudnai a million dollar trick my one character game suddenly become a multi-character thanks to you but still i don't know if it's going to work if you have colored background... my character has border maybe it can work.

A suggestion if only moderator think of doing a section in the forum categorized only for buildbox tricks/hacks so it can be easy to access lot of tricks and hacks lost in the forum a newbies can't find it and learn from it. even me i cant find with lot of posts. BB can work only with this hacks its the king of the tricks.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    tweettopix likes this.
  11. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

That indeed is a great hack! I don't have access to the software so I can't recreate it. My first thought is about the layering: is the character above the action? Isn't it the other way around?

And sadly, the collision shape does not change at all. Animations are not possible (for example a run pose and then a flying pose), different backgrounds will not work and if your characters are a little more complex and have a design applied (even only an outline) it doesn't work either. It seems to work for a Color Switch type of game though. Never would have thought of it.

Do you have more such tricks to share? :rolleyes:

12. wesam_badr

the character need to be on top so the shaped empty space overlap and get the color from the action. this trick will work only with simple shapes or shapes that have the same outline square circles... even complex shapes that share the same outline

13. l_beav

l_beav Boxer

Does anyone know how the quarter circles have their shapes edited? I can't figure this out since the shape "must be convex."

14. l_beav

l_beav Boxer

Also, does anyone know the settings to have the quarter circles go around correctly in order to emulate circle switch; if you don't mind sharing? Angular Velocity? Linear Velocity?

15. energizerlithium

energizerlithium Avid Boxer

I believe it's angular velocity with other half circles connected using the connector tools, but yea, does anyone have any idea how to he managed to create the collision shape since BB doesn't allow non convex collisions

16. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

17. energizerlithium

energizerlithium Avid Boxer

Hey thanks a bunch eh, sorry I double posted here!

18. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

@Andy does that mean that BB 2 will have an unlock system that can be used for example on challanges?

19. Gbello97

Gbello97 Boxer

this does not work because if the color layer (red) is above all the other colors it will never change color? is there a fix ? it just stays red

20. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

You can change the layering by pressing the Ctrl (or Cmd on Mac) and the square brackets ( Ctrl+[ and Ctrl+] )