Independent Build Box Tutorial Requests

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Machine Rises, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

Yikes I forget how much time processing time takes! Some of these are 18 minutes long because I didn't edit them down. I thought it would be great for you guys to see me figure things out in real time because they will probably be problems you come across as well.

2. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

@Machine Rises Maybe you could get someone that can edit the videos for you. I think this would be much faster and you also would have more time creating more videos.

Let's say..

You create 1 video + edit that video = takes 3 hours
    You create 1 video + another 1 video (+ maybe another 1) = takes 3 hours

Just a thought :)

3. Machine Rises

Hey man I'd be up for that do you have suggestions for someone to do the editing? Just let them know it's pro bono work as I am still a poor app dev:eek:

4. Machine Rises

Sorry guys My computer takes forever to process videos. Took four hours to process just one 18 min video! I'm hoping I process the remainder tonight and upload tomorrow.

5. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

@Machine Rises I think 4 hours to process for a 18 min video is normal, right? Heard a lot of people saying that it takes a long time to upload.:rolleyes:

I don't know any person who can edit the videos. I myself could do it but I'm already so busy with my job and also have little time to create games :confused: I'll send you a PM some time to time if I can:)

6. darone

darone Boxer

depend on the resolution of the video and any effects or text art you put on the video. I once have 15 mins hd video (1080), it takes one night just to render. try make the resolution smaller and not using too many effects.

7. Machine Rises

yup I don't really use effects. You'll see once I finally upload. Yeah I just processed a video over night that's 13 min and it took about 5 hours to process. But my other videos are much smaller so should get those done today easier.

8. mobile_gamegraphics

mobile_gamegraphics Boxer

If you don't edit the videos - why don't you do a Live stream through Youtube - Creator Studio Tools and you'll have the video directly on Youtube without the hassle?

9. Machine Rises

thanks for that tip @mobile_gamegraphics I didn't think of doing a live stream. I've already edited these but I might do that for future videos. It's mainly the processing that's taking the most time. Even processing right now. I think I have three more videos to process.

10. Machine Rises

@mobile_gamegraphics I looked into it and that def looks like the way to go because this is taking a long time to process haha. Even now I'm processing. I guess it won't be as slick as I want for the live stream with editing but I def can't be having my mac process videos for days every week.

11. mobile_gamegraphics

mobile_gamegraphics Boxer

I think you will definitely save plenty of time if you do a quick transcript - print it out, go through it "offline" then do the "live" one and you'll be fine. We've done plenty of videos like that and it's working very well :)

12. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Machine Rises, video at 720p and 30fps is enough to make a tutorial.
    Windows with "Movie Maker" a 5 minute video at 720p is processed in 3 minutes on a PC Core i5.

13. PeterB

PeterB Boxer

Did I miss the youtube channel URL?

As @jcalle said, you can probably get away with a lower file size.

Total file size should be under 200MB, ideally under 150MB for 20 minutes.
    Takes about 30 minutes end to end (Vegas to youtube)

For you tube I (try to) use;
    20 minute parts (max)
    1280x720 size
    25fps
    sound 96~128 kb data rate (can eat huge bandwidth otherwise and no odds on speach)

The big change is the video data rate.
    512 KBs is usually fine, even for graphics. If you want it really crisp 720 kbs.
    I tend to use fixed rate, but you could also do VBR between 512 and 720 if you want (not really necessary)

Try a small 2 minute movie first to make sure it is how you expect.

Also I stick to MP4 (H264 codec) whether from vegas or camtasia.

Really looking forward to what you uncover in these tutorials.

14. Machine Rises

@email thanks for the tips I'l try those specs. Sorry guys I got stuck in development with my publisher for my game. I have a lot of videos uploaded but I need to get one more up today then I'll post the link to my youtube channel :)

trygiimusic likes this.
  15. JustWatchApps

JustWatchApps Avid Boxer

@Machine Rises I think its perfectly fine to be working ON YOUR BUSINESS, all can wait for the link I'm sure! lol ;)

16. rnahowe

rnahowe Boxer

Some information that I would find useful is asset construction. What are the best sizes when creating the graphics for BB games. It would be a real drag to spend time creating all the graphics for my game only to find out they were not the optimum size.

Or maybe someone could point me to this information if it has already been discussed
    Thx

17. trygii

trygii Avid Boxer

@Machine Rises May I ask who your publisher is? I'm currently looking for one.

18. Machine Rises

@trygiimusic I'm unable to say until their flagship game launches soon, but soon as it does I'll give you their email address.

trygiimusic likes this.
  19. riolowry

riolowry Boxer

@Machine Rises I didn't see it anywhere but did you ever post a link to your youtube channel?

20. Machine Rises

Sorry man I have been working with my publisher non stop to get my game ready for launch which should be next week. I had to put that on the back burner. I should be able to get on top of it next week. I have around 6 videos recorded but will have to wait on more as I have another game I'm getting ready as well.

GeoffB and Collin Wade Thiessen like this.