How To Reduce Size

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Arshpreet, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Jaky1

Jaky1 Serious Boxer

Just use Illustrator, make images of reasonable size, not too big. Don't rescale, don't repeat images in BB. I have 5 atlases and game works smooth. ;):)

Arshpreet likes this.
  2. Arshpreet

Arshpreet Avid Boxer

what if My game is not just solid Colors,what if my game is bit detailed,u are right but Its not applicable to evryone,i am sharing an image,yes It can be Done in illustrator but i am more Comfartable with Creating 3ds max

Attached Files:

3. Lee (Double Tap Games)

Lee (Double Tap Games) Boxer

Nice graphics ;)

You make the game with what ever graphics you see fit for your game.
    My explanations about PNG files was to let people understand how the images work.
    We never compromise for graphic quality.
    There are limits sometimes, but we always use animations and cool looking graphics, then look at ways to optermise later, like reduce image dimensions of images that we can. Remove images not in use. Make sure no duplicate objects being used in atlas etc..

We currently have 9 atlases and our game runs smooth and plays great. And looks great on retina displays too.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Christoph and Arshpreet like this.
  4. Nova.NBR

Nova.NBR Boxer

Yup I do it after export, right before compile it with android studio.

Christoph likes this.
  5. Nova.NBR

Nova.NBR Boxer

Yup, in my case its work like a charm ;), means i can reduce the file size but i cant notice any different after i compile it and test it in my phone, i'm not test it in a tablet but Note4 has a relative big screen too, and there is not artifact or noticable edge in it, its almost the same with the game without compressed image.

Christoph likes this.
  6. Arshpreet

Arshpreet Avid Boxer

Lee (Double Tap Games)thanks buddy and Love to Hear That Ur game Is working Well and yes everything u said is right.

7. shako1

shako1 Boxer

hello everyone.
    I just found a great website to compress png files for me it worked great character files were 3.5 mg now its 700 kb
    http://optimizilla.com/ this is the website

8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Don’t use any compression on your png files. The only thing you get is a worse quality of your game. But no benefit at all.

Andy likes this.
  9. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Not sure if others have had this but when I was Saving files as 1:1 size I found they didn’t appear very sharp compared to saying two or three times the size and scaling down. This was all in photoshop. I’ve now gone to affinity to use vectors and safe as png (yes know it’s no longer a vector) which has given better results. I’ve not tried these as 1:1 yet though but fear they may become blurred again

When I get time away from the day job I’ll check this out but is the onject size in pixels affected by the dpi setting. Eg if I save a 100x100 at 72dpi is that going to be the same size as saving the object as 100x100 at 300 dpi. Clearly file sizes will be different but in terms of what B.B. needs as Andy has mentioned, will both still be 100x100?

If so then I can see how to get sharper images at smaller pixel dimensions.

10. mm4games

mm4games Boxer

Hi. I dont understand what do you mean with use image after export and not before. Can you explain me please? Im new and I want avoid mistake to create my game so to save time. Thanks

11. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

If you are new just ignore this thread. There is no reason to do any kind of png optimization of images before dropping into Buildbox. Just make them the size you need them before you import.