How To Make Physics Objects Not Collide With Each Other But Do Collide With Character?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by emmanuel, Mar 15, 2017.

1. emmanuel

emmanuel Boxer

Is there a way to make objects stack/overlap over each other(like layers)?
    Also, I want those objects to collide with the character, but No collide with each other.

Is there a way to do this?
    thanks everyone

2. Appymes

Appymes Avid Boxer

I tried to do the same, and I did not get it.

When you activate the option "Collision Type: Collide"

They will collide with the other objects. In some cases it would be interesting for them to collide with other objects, but not with themselves.

I did not get it, if someone got it, it behaves in the Forum.

Thank you!

3. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

By logic, it would seem logic to actually work as you're saying .. i'm pretty sure on some scenes of my game I have enemies crossing each other's paths ..
    Mainly I have a Saw which is following a logic button (path) and i'm pretty sure they cross each others path without colliding with one another or their own path ..

Can provide print screen if necessary, let me know
    (will check first, so don't take my word for it, not home ATM )

4. Appymes

Appymes Avid Boxer

I do not know if when an object follows the guide of a "Path" does not collide with the others, I have never tried it, maybe I have priority the route to follow that the collisions.

What I have tried for example is several balls bouncing on a stage, and they are all enemy and with collisions, and collide with each other. The interesting thing would be to be able to deactivate those collisions between entities of the same type.

5. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

Will definitively check when I get home, but what if you choose "no collide" - "destroy character" ? That should allow for the enemy to do its thing and not collide with any other asset, but destroying character upon contact.. no ?

6. Appymes

Appymes Avid Boxer

Yes, but it would not collide with anything, not with a platform, on the floor, or on the walls, etc ... although of course, it would be useful in some concrete situations.

7. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

Yes, but in terms of actually solving @emmanuel 's problem, that would be the fix.. Just make sure the enemy doesn't get overlayered by floor or whatever game asset it is blocking sight of enemy.
    To do this you would acess --> ( Left hand side lateral menu ) with Game Asset's ,make sure desired enemies are on top making them top visual priority without colliding onto decorations because you've selected "No Colide" - "Destroy Character" :D

8. emmanuel

emmanuel Boxer

I see the logic you are proposing..but the focus is not on the enemy... it's for objects that the character has to move into place.
    I want the character to move multiple items together like a (top view pyramid) or target sign.

so switching to no collide... would mean the character can't move the objects anymore. essentially I need to be able to create a way for the objects to have the following properties:
    - NO Collide with object
    - YES Collide with character
    - NO Collide with enemy

thanks again for helping to solve this.

9. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Have you tried adding an Advance Move property to the object? Set its event to Collision and set the Affected Asset as All Character...

Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 7.17.50 PM.PNG

10. emmanuel

emmanuel Boxer

Good idea @trudnai , I thought it would have done it for a moment...but alas...no go.
    If there was an option for 'no collide' in that dropdown it might have worked. but essentially. its still colliding with the other objects I want it to not collide with. I've post a project sample so you can see what I'm trying to do.

Download BBdoc

11. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

It seems to me it does what you want, unless I misunderstood what you have meant?

12. Appymes

Appymes Avid Boxer

A good solution, yes. Thank you very much for sharing it!

13. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

@trudnai Thank you for clearing that up for us ;)
    @emmanuel Right at 0.04 seconds of video is the answer for your issue! :D

14. emmanuel

emmanuel Boxer

Not quite.
    The video shows No-collide with character, but I need collide with character...and I need no-collide with everything else.

maybe I'm not explaining very well. will try again:
    - the character must always be able to move the red discs.
    - but the red discs should not be able to move other red discs.
    - and the enemy should not be able to move the red discs

thanks everyone for your patience and trying to help out!

15. emmanuel

emmanuel Boxer

and I even tried 2 elements with those settings..and it seemed to work for a second.. but within 5 seconds.. the collisions state kicks in..and they no longer overlap.

updated bbdoc

16. FranciscoBala

FranciscoBala Avid Boxer

emmanuel likes this.
  17. emmanuel

emmanuel Boxer

@brakewind723 ... I tried to use the folders concept in the example you showed...but couldn't get it to work right. my objects even though on different layers continued to collide with each other. is there a particular object setting that you used in your example I'm not applying? or do you know how i can get the objects on the scene 'one' to all stack over each other at the point of the small circle?

See bbdoc here

Thanks